RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Airbrushing (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=81267)

Ed Smith 11-21-2008 09:36 AM

Airbrushing

1 Attachment(s)
Need help.

I have a Badger airbrush. A single stage one with the long needle control.

I also have a cheapy airbrush which is just a simple syphon feed.

I use them with a Campbell-Hausfeld "Power Pal" compressor, supposedly rated up to 100psi but I do not think it gets there, rarely use it that high anyway

When I use the badger the paint pulsates as it comes out. What am I doing wrong. I have tried every combination of pressure, paint thickness and needle adjustment.

The cheapy off the same compressor does not pulsate. but I cannot get the required fine line.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ed S

moo 11-21-2008 11:20 AM

Re: Airbrushing

It's been twenty years but I seem to recall that my Badger only needed thirty PSIG or so. Some people ran them off car tire tubes.

flysrcs 11-21-2008 11:30 AM

Ed,
I have a Badger 150 airbrush and I too had the same issues as your. What PSI are you trying to airbrush at. I vary from 10 PSI up to 30 but not really any higher. Also the airbrush is very finicky on how clean it is. Also take a look an the head. Does the little brass piece that the needle slides through. Does it look worn, cracked or deformed? When Mine workesd good My wife can tell as I'm the happiest guy on earth but oif it gives me trouble then I get cranky fast. Usually I'm cranky.
Dave

Guest 11-21-2008 12:44 PM

Hi Ed,
I'll try to trouble shoot a bit for you here.
Badger airbrushes are a PITA. Their price certainly doesn't make you think this, but they are some of the worst airbrushes on the market. It gets even harder to use them when they are syphon feed such as yours.
The single action with a long needle like the one you have are particularly prone to issues such as pulsating, plugging the tip etc.
Usually pulsating happens because there is air escaping somewhere other than the nozzle. This could be the trigger, it could be through the needle packing in the body, it can even be through a faulty nozzle.
The Badger airbrushes are a nightmare to keep clean. So to start, disassemble EVERY SINGLE PIECE of your airbrush and make sure it's spotless. Check to make sure the needle isn't bent (do this by rolling it on a flat surface and watch for any wobble). Make sure when you put the trigger back in that there is some resistance in there, otherwise the packing is toast. Same with the needle, when you slide it back in make sure you can feel some resistance.

Once you know for sure that everything is squeaky clean, re-assemble the whole thing and make sure everything is tight. Especially the nozzle, any air leaking around there will pulsate like crazy.

Next check your paint bottle, make sure the lid has the vent hole open in the top, if the bottle can't make up air while the paint goes out, you create a vacuum and this will lead to pulsating as well.

Finally, make sure your paint is thin enough, you have basically no room for error on paint consistency with a syphon feed airbrush. To thick and it will clog the tip, and can also cause pulsing if the paint can't easily flow to the tip.

If your compressor doesn't have a tank this can cause some pulsing as well just due to the compressor pump.

The best advice I can give you though if you want clean fine lines and good bang for the buck is buy an Iwata Revolution HP-CR. There is not a better mid level airbrush on the market. I have all Iwata airbrushes in my shop. The Revolution can be found for about $70 is you don't look in hobby stores (they'll probably charge you about $160).

I just bought another one recently and I think my cost was about $72. If you want one, and can't find one for less than $90 in your area let me know and I can get one and send it out to you in the mail.

The gravity feed is a HUGE advantage over syphon and the dual action airbrushes such as the Iwata are far more versatile. You can spray anywhere from 1/64" to 1.5" with the revolution. It is a workhorse in my shop.
Although I did this one 4 years ago and my skills have improved substantially from that time, ALL the airbrushing on this bike was done with an Iwata Revolution
http://www.lgmguitars.com/graphix/bi...0_classic.html

Good luck!
Jeremy

ps, I generally airbrush anywhere from 25 to 40psi depending on the color and effect I want. Get a good in line regulator so you know where you're pressure is.

Ed Smith 11-21-2008 04:00 PM

Thanks for all of the replies.

Jeremy, When I unlocked the needle and held the gun up the needle just slid right out. You have made up my mind for me. I see no point in messing around with a poor quality unit. The motor cycle in you picture was impressive to say the least. All I was trying to do was get an even shaded edge around the edge of a cockpit.

I have phoned around localy and nobody can supply me with the gun you mention. Can I take you up on your kind offer to get one for me?

I will send you a private message with details.

Ed S

Guest 11-21-2008 04:06 PM

No problem Ed, I will call on Monday and get one ordered for you. In the meantime, my wife and I are off for a romantic weekend getaway, we haven't had any time to ourselves in almost a year, we're overdue :)
You will probably need a hose as well, Iwata has a different sized fitting than most others, I'll see what prices they have Iwata hoses for as well for you. If you need a regulator or anything else just let me know, Fortunately owning a body shop I get pretty good pricing on most of that stuff :)
Jeremy

phattires 11-21-2008 06:59 PM

Hello Ed

The following link will show retailers in Ontario for Iwata airbrushes

http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.php...anada_ontario/

Ed Smith 11-22-2008 04:59 PM

phattires,

Thanks for the link. LGM is sending me one. Now I know where to go for parts.

Ed S

mtnflyer 11-25-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGM Guitars (Post 563156)
Badger airbrushes are a PITA. Their price certainly doesn't make you think this, but they are some of the worst airbrushes on the market. It gets even harder to use them when they are syphon feed such as yours.
Jeremy.

Bummer. I have a Badger 150, and paid the big bucks for it.

Now, I want an Iwata too.

I'll probably be giving the Bager to some kid. I'll let him/her decide if it's any good. To be perfectly honest, I have not had much trouble with it. It has worked for me. Although, I'm only a small time, paint a few times a year type of guy.

LGM, thanks for blowing my vision that I had the best money could buy. On the other hand, thanks for clueing me in that what I think is the best, may not be.!

Guy

Guest 11-25-2008 09:43 PM

Hey guys,
www.coastairbrush.com has great prices on their Iwata stuff. Better than you'll find in Canada by far unless you know somebody who can buy at cost or close to.
http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R4500
That is the airbrush I have been talking about.
Ed, your airbrush will be on it's way in the morning on Greyhound.
I can talk to my bodyshop supply house and see if I can bring in a few of them if guys are interested.

Jeremy