RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   EMI Shielding (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=73503)

bbbair 03-14-2008 01:18 PM

EMI Shielding

I'm new to the Gasser systems, but ever since I became interested in them one problem keeps coming up - Electromagnetic Interferance or EMI .

The cause is power to the spark plug - the solution is a braided wire shielding to the plug. SUPER!

Has anyone considered any other means to keep the EMI away from the radio? Perhaps placing some Aluminum screening on the firewall and expoxying it in place... :?:

Any fresh Ideas? :wink:

scaleguy 03-14-2008 01:27 PM

Re: EMI Shielding

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbair
I'm new to the Gasser systems, but ever since I became interested in them one problem keeps coming up - Electromagnetic Interferance or EMI .

The cause is power to the spark plug - the solution is a braided wire shielding to the plug. SUPER!

Has anyone considered any other means to keep the EMI away from the radio? Perhaps placing some Aluminum screening on the firewall and expoxying it in place... :?:

No Brainer........................

2.4 GHz

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry could not resist. Well the braided shield seems to work well for Electronic Ignition so I guess you are taling about the old school magneto. :D

couple of things to do...
  • - Keep Rx well away from engine
    - keep throttle servo well back in the middle of the fuse and use only "goldenRod" type pushrod for linkage, deffinitely no music wire pushrods for this.
    - Use mechanichal choke, saves servo weight and one less thing to worry about.
    - minimize metal to metal contact poins so if your engine has metal mounts the aluminum plate on the firewall is a no no.

Gary Maker 03-14-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaleguy
Quote:

2.4 GHz

OR doing a proper installation, keeping your engine electronics well seperated from your radio electronics. Works great for me!

scaleguy 03-14-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Maker
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaleguy
Quote:

2.4 GHz

OR doing a proper installation, keeping your engine electronics well seperated from your radio electronics. Works great for me!

Gary,

I must have been editing my post as you wrote yours.. that's exactly, basicaly what I said. :D :D

murp 03-14-2008 04:21 PM

Braiding your servo wires - ~2 braids per inch will help make them immune to noise.

50%300SFlyer 03-15-2008 06:50 AM

Also, make sure you have a resistor sparkplug. There should be an "R" in the plug numbers.

Gary Maker 03-15-2008 08:26 AM

Scaleguy wrote: " Gary,
I must have been editing my post as you wrote yours.. that's exactly, basicaly what I said.

Well, all can I say Jim, is: "Great minds think alike!"

scaleguy wrote: "No Brainer........................

2.4 GHz "

I know that, for myself, having a 2.4 GHz system will certainly be a huge advantage with a gasser setup and everything else...BUT.....,

I just hope that guys will still take the time to do a proper setup of their planes, like making sure you/they have the electronics for engine and radio equip seperated and especially having a resister ( "R") plug, things like this rather, than depending on your radio system to just cover it up for you. There are all the other people to think about and how your setup might affect the operation of their plane(s)

The guy next to you might not have a 2.4 GHz system and without you having a resister plug for example, your ok, but your engine is causing interfearance that could cause his plane serious problems.

I think that is something we're all going to have to be more aware of with all of these new 2.4 systems around, as long as there are others still using 72 Mhz systems.