RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   ASP Motors (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=197532)

BillyBones 05-06-2013 07:47 AM

ASP Motors

Does anyone have any info on ASP motors other than that they are cheap. Do they work well, dependable, durable, powerful etc.

Thanks
Billy Bones :) :) :)

CHEVPRO 05-06-2013 08:19 AM

Re: ASP Motors

I have a 61 four stroke. It's been running about two years now. Starts every time and runs great. It is not as strong as an equivalent sized OS motor but its not a slug either.
For the price, I would buy another one.

CHEVPRO 05-06-2013 08:20 AM

Mendes 05-06-2013 08:28 AM

I have two of them, both 4 strokes, one .80 and a 1.20. The 1.20 is in a float plane and has on-board glow for reliability, with this setup it is great. The .80 never seems reliable, especially the idle. Both are average power wise and on the heavier side.

If you can spend a little extra cash go with something better.

Jimmy P 05-06-2013 08:32 AM

I had two of them both 4 strokes, they wore out in one season, I would not waste the money again I fly to much to buy cheaper engines that have only a short life span. They ran fine , just low quality parts.

kip51035 05-06-2013 08:33 AM

I had three, .46, .61 & a .91. All three the plating on the inside of the cylinder is coming off. The .91 the cylinder near the ports had bad scuff marks which indicates that the piston was too tight and dragging on the cylinder. I also have a sleeve for a .61 that was suppose to be new "Ebay" and it had scuff marks. I tried to hone the cylinder and found that the plating was all gone and the metal underneath was very soft. Some of the engines leak base pressure out through the front bearing. You can prevent this with installing a bearing with synthetic rubber seals and removing the inside seal. The Webra, HP, HB, Super Tiger (Italian) and Rossi engines are all made in Europe and are far superior in all aspects to Just about all engines made in the far east. These engines can be had at a reasonable price because so many people have one foot stuck in the "OS" rut.

frenzy 05-06-2013 09:24 AM

ASP {Another Sh--ty Product}is what I think of this brand.Ran a .46 on my trainer while learning and was known as the King of Deadsticks.Buy a OS or Saito but do spend the extra on your powerplant you won t be disappointed.

YoungestPiperCub 05-06-2013 12:19 PM

Another Shitty Product!

Hughes500E 05-06-2013 12:42 PM

Normally I would agree with anything Frenzy says but, the 2 stroke engines I wouldn't touch. The Four Strokes I would. After being around a few of the ASP 4 strokes including one 160 twin, I purchased one.

I also bought an extra piston & a piston ring. Looking at the machining of the extra piston, I am impressed. My 160 twin will be living on a 108 inch Super Cub. I will treat it accordingly!

reo 05-07-2013 07:26 AM

Boat anchors!