RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Beginners / Newbies (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Planes for windy days (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=289297)

AndyB 11-02-2014 09:44 AM

Planes for windy days

Which planes perform better on those windy days. Is bigger better, heavier better, does wing/fuse configuration make a difference.
I want to expand my flying days, like today the weather is beautiful but the wind is a steady 20 kph and gusting at 30 kph across our field. Can you give examples of plane models that would have an advantage in these types of conditions? I'm not after easy just better.
Thanks

cosmith 11-02-2014 11:38 AM

Re: Planes for windy days

I think it has a lot to do with design. For example, I don't find my 35cc to handle wind much better than some of my smaller models. It has big surfaces and light weight for 3d so it makes sense. I'm thinking your best bet is something with a gyro...I'm considering the Parkzone Sukhoi with AS3x just for this reason.

I suspect some planes with higher wing loading like warbirds are likely better in the wind. However they are more of a handful to fly in the best of conditions, so who knows how that balances out.

frenzy 11-02-2014 11:49 AM

I find planes with a thick airfoil like my frenzy,let it blow she will just sit in there and hang,float giving you lots of time to do what you want.

bbbair 11-07-2014 09:40 AM

In a stiff wind I will take up a heavy AC every time.

Mind you, Heavy is a relative term. ;)

My favorite AC for strong winds is the Great Planes P51 with an OS 70FS, at 7 lbs it was stable in any conditions and the airfoil would cut the wind nicely.

A KEY feature of a windy day flier has to be a VERY Reliable engine! :TU:
This is no time to have a flame out and try a dead stick landing! ;)

I also had some very good results witha 60 sized Stick - but it didn't have the stability of the P51.

Stick with Solid, Proven Airframes (over 5 Lbs) with a bullet proof engine and you should do well.

Happy Landings

Midair 11-07-2014 09:49 AM

Something else you might consider is what I did this year - I purchased a Bavarian Demon Cortex aircraft stabilization unit; unfortunately, not inexpensive, around $350.00 U.S. However, wind will no longer be a factor. Period. I've flown my smaller, light weight models (like my 53" 3DHS Slick) in winds as high as 30 Kph with no discomfort or concern whatsoever! I was in the air flying when others simply watched. It's relatively easy to transfer the unit from airframe to airframe, about five to ten minutes of work, so you don't need to purchase one for each of your models. If the cost does not turn you off, it's well worth considering. It works!

Cheers,

Peter

cosmith 11-07-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midair (Post 2026649)
Something else you might consider is what I did this year - I purchased a Bavarian Demon Cortex aircraft stabilization unit; unfortunately, not inexpensive, around $350.00 U.S. However, wind will no longer be a factor. Period. I've flown my smaller, light weight models (like my 53" 3DHS Slick) in winds as high as 30 Kph with no discomfort or concern whatsoever! I was in the air flying when others simply watched. It's relatively easy to transfer the unit from airframe to airframe, about five to ten minutes of work, so you don't need to purchase one for each of your models. If the cost does not turn you off, it's well worth considering. It works!

Cheers,

Peter

Hey Peter, the Cortex has really got my attention. I've been meaning to start a thread here to see who has them and what they think.

Have you tried any other gyros...say the AS3X, or the cheaper units like those from HobbyKing? The general consensus is that it is much better than the others, I'm just curious what it does differently? I notice you are using it in a 3DHS 53" Slick...I'm assuming it's light enough to have no other affect on flight quality? Does it hinder 3D flying at all? I'd be most interested in putting it in a 48" EF Edge EXP.

It does seem like a big chunk of change, but if it is as effective as people claim it could be worth it. If it makes my 35cc plane easier to land, it could pay for itself in one flight! I've missed many a free day for flying due to wind this year.

Midair 11-07-2014 10:53 AM

Hello Cory:

Here is an RCC thread that I started back in the summer, before I purchased the BD Cortex:

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=260914

There are also detailed and lengthy threads on RC Groups and R/C Universe about this stabilization system versus the "others." In short, the BD Cortex is completely, and I mean completely, transparent to the pilot, other than it feels really comfortable. The operator has the ability to "dial in" the amount of stabilization desired. Most people run with 25-30% "gain" for normal flight mode. The Cortex can also be switched (in flight) to a higher "hover gain" that will allow the model to hover almost hands off. I don't use this mode as I find that the hover "feeling" is a bit awkward for my flying style (I have the ability to hover). The Cortex does in no way negatively affect 3D maneuvers. I haven't tried other stabilization systems. You can buy them for as little as $80.00, but my understanding is that you get what you pay for. The best advice that I can give is to try a buddies aircraft that's Cortex equipped.Once you've tried it, I think you'll be hooked.

Peter

AndyB 11-07-2014 10:59 AM

Thanks Peter, can you confirm if this is the model you purchased.
http://www.rotorquest.com/product_in...ucts_id=101815

Midair 11-07-2014 11:26 AM

Hi Andy:

Yup, that's the one. The U.S. dollar has recently kicked the crap out of ours, so the $400.00 price tag is a bit higher than I paid in the summer; I paid $350.00U.S. and it ended up costing just over $400.00, landed at my door. It may seem like an awfully high price for a piece of equipment that's really not essential :(, but I'm really happy with mine and wouldn't go back to the "old ways."

Peter

cosmith 11-07-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midair (Post 2026745)
Hello Cory:

Here is an RCC thread that I started back in the summer, before I purchased the BD Cortex:

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=260914

There are also detailed and lengthy threads on RC Groups and R/C Universe about this stabilization system versus the "others." In short, the BD Cortex is completely, and I mean completely, transparent to the pilot, other than it feels really comfortable. The operator has the ability to "dial in" the amount of stabilization desired. Most people run with 25-30% "gain" for normal flight mode. The Cortex can also be switched (in flight) to a higher "hover gain" that will allow the model to hover almost hands off. I don't use this mode as I find that the hover "feeling" is a bit awkward for my flying style (I have the ability to hover). The Cortex does in no way negatively affect 3D maneuvers. I haven't tried other stabilization systems. You can buy them for as little as $80.00, but my understanding is that you get what you pay for. The best advice that I can give is to try a buddies aircraft that's Cortex equipped.Once you've tried it, I think you'll be hooked.

Peter

Thanks for the link, admittedly I hadn't taken the time to search up till now.

I know there are extensive threads on other forums, but sometimes there are too many replies to read and there are a lot of people that will say whatever they purchase is the greatest thing since sliced bread based on the amount of money they spent.

As far as the cost, I'm starting to lean towards saying it is worth it. This fall is the first time in my short time flying that I've had more fun on the simulator than outside. It is a rare occasion to get under 20km/h winds here and I find the air around our field to be very turbulent due to trees and elevation changes. Can I fly and bring my planes back in one piece, absolutely...but it isn't fun and I certainly don't make any progress towards learning 3D. I mean, as a newer pilot I'm sure there is a skill gain in terms of muscle memory or whatever in battling the wind...but I won't fly if it's not fun, it's not my career, I'm not being paid.

Is it cheating? If all you are using it for is to kill the turbulence, then I don't see it becoming a crutch but rather a way to get more 'quality' flying time in. If you are trying to learn IMAC, 3D or even just to have a relaxing flight...kill the wind and you will progress much quicker IMHO. I could see my self trying the hold function in a hover a couple times just for the heck of it but the reason I do this is because it's challenging, really I just want to be out there more practicing and having a good time.

That's my 0.02...maybe this will be an x-mas gift too me...although it will put off a couple other purchases.