RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   BBT 2.6m CompArf Yak55 / Back to a MOKI 150 Now Build Thread (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=125215)

TBrum 07-09-2011 09:48 PM

BBT 2.6m CompArf Yak55 / Back to a MOKI 150 Now Build Thread

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

This build started as a 32.5% Carden Yak / MOKI150, until ~post #180, when I instead changed gears and bought a 2.6m Comp Arf Yak55 in the Fantasy scheme.

With all the build projects in the works for fall/winter/spring 2011/2012, there's no way I'll have time to have the Carden built for MaidenFest 2012, so I decided to try a Compy!!!! :rock::rock:

http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...%2055SP%202.6m

-----------------------------------------------

It's official!!! My winter build project arrives late next week!

** Was just talking to Dennis at Carden and his last 32.5% Yak will be shipped to me next week!!!!! :rock:
http://www.carden-aircraft.com/

And, just confirmed my order with AMR for a Moki150, 5-cylinder Radial for the front-end, along with the fuel pump system :rock: And, it's in stock for FedEx on Monday!!!!

http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...id=320&langue=
http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...=421&langue=en

Should be a very, very fun build!!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Tyler P 07-09-2011 09:52 PM

Re: BBT 32.5% Carden Yak / MOKI 150 Radial Build Thread

Nice, Trev! That's going to be a cool build!

Bdegan 07-14-2011 10:05 AM

Definately interested in reading that.

Its funny, because now DA has dropped Amsoil and now recommends Redline.
Jody from Valleyview also recommends Redline and Stihl Ultra HP.
A lot of the big engine gurus have been dropping Amsoil and switching to Stihl Ultra HP.

Can't wait for the read ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

wingburner 07-14-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdegan (Post 846732)

A lot of the big engine gurus have been dropping Amsoil and switching to Stihl Ultra HP.

One thing everyone should remember.

A high quality oil mixed at the proper ratios will work well on every engine (and I might add no matter what the engine manufactureres say or recommend). I never listen to what they say and have zero issues.:mrgreen:

The bad catalyst is generally improperly tuned engines.:yes::yes:;)

goneflyin 07-14-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBrum (Post 846620)
Hey Don!! Thanks for the post - I forgot about our chat last year when you mentioned you had one also!!! I've got lots of questions for you now, so a PM will follow. :):)

Thanks for the primer detai vs fuel pump - more to be discusses for sure!!

I've been reading the same about props. Seems a static RPM of ~4900rpms is where one wants to be (so that max RPM does not surpass 5500...dependant on plane also) and many like the Xoar or Menz (both in the 26x16). I'm also reading that many like the Menz 28x14 and 29x12 for that same rpm consideration along with the 25x14 3-blade.

Rumor has it, these radials are very dirty on 32:1 Yamalube, so I was going to go 50:1 amsoil as per your post and many others!

Still having trouble getting details on what sized tank I need for the Moki150? - seems a 600mL tank will be more than enough for 14 minutes, but will need to check wih you.

Cheers

Trev

Trev,

600ml is an awfully small tank!
but these engines are fuel misers- I've got a 32 oz tank in the Boomerang and it'll go 18-20 minutes no problem. I'm running it full throttle probably 80% of the flight too.
Intake and exhaust (especially exh) tube nuts come loose for the first 10 flights and need a gentle tightening on a schedule.
Valve lash is pretty constant, I've had to tighten them up probably 4 or 5 times.
I agree with Jack regarding oils, but add in that cooling is critically important- if an engine is not cooling well, every type of oil will carbon up.
Don

TBrum 07-14-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdegan (Post 846732)

I called DA about this!!! They still recommend Amsoil, but now also recommend equally Redline... Jeff said that DA will endorse the use of either one!! They said, they've never had an issue with either one!!!

I agree with Jack though - I think it all comes down to personal preference and likely doesn't matter what we use as long as it's tuned properly. In reality, there's nothing very high-tech about our motors - they're pretty basic motors like a chainsaw or lawnmower!!!

Still... Amsoil all the way, LOL!!! :):):):)

T

TBrum 07-14-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goneflyin (Post 846751)
Trev,

600ml is an awfully small tank!
but these engines are fuel misers- I've got a 32 oz tank in the Boomerang and it'll go 18-20 minutes no problem. I'm running it full throttle probably 80% of the flight too.
Intake and exhaust (especially exh) tube nuts come loose for the first 10 flights and need a gentle tightening on a schedule.
Valve lash is pretty constant, I've had to tighten them up probably 4 or 5 times.
I agree with Jack regarding oils, but add in that cooling is critically important- if an engine is not cooling well, every type of oil will carbon up.
Don

Thanks Don!!

Based on your run-times, I'd like a fuel capacity with a 14 minute durations, so it sounds like a 24oz tank may do the trick then! I rarely fly for more than 8-10 minutes so that should work!!

I'm very excited to study the Moki next week when it arrives!! May just have to mount it to the test stand :yes::yes::yes:

Thanks again!

Trevor

wingburner 07-14-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBrum (Post 846772)
I called DA about this!!! They still recommend Amsoil, but now also recommend equally Redline... Jeff said that DA will endorse the use of either one!! They said, they've never had an issue with either one!!!

I agree with Jack though - I think it all comes down to personal preference and likely doesn't matter what we use as long as it's tuned properly. In reality, there's nothing very high-tech about our motors - they're pretty basic motors like a chainsaw or lawnmower!!!

Still... Amsoil all the way, LOL!!! :):):):)

T

LMAO!!!!

And what's more we all take pride in the "executive" decisions we make on our highly crafted airplanes...:mrgreen::yes::yes::rock:

TBrum 07-14-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingburner (Post 846774)
LMAO!!!!

And what's more we all take pride in the "executive" decisions we make on our highly crafted airplanes...:mrgreen::yes::yes::rock:

LOL!!! - That's putting it in perspective Jack!!!

Man, we're a silly bunch!!!

At least we aren't short of things to talk about - keeps these threads going, LOL!!!! What is your saying again??? - "We're a bunch of bantam roosters" :lol::lol::lol:

T

wingburner 07-14-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBrum (Post 846776)
LOL!!! - That's putting it in perspective Jack!!!

Man, we're a silly bunch!!!

At least we aren't short of things to talk about - keeps these threads going, LOL!!!! What is your saying again??? - "We're a bunch of bantam roosters" :lol::lol::lol:

T

LOL!!

Well around my house it's the only "executive" decision this bantam gets to make....aaaaand we'll stand toe-to-toe to defend it...:mrgreen::mrgreen: