RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Jet Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   For those of you still flying on a DSM2 JR 12X... (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=140385)

Kelly W 05-12-2012 10:02 PM

For those of you still flying on a DSM2 JR 12X...

Hey Guys,

Just a head's up for those that stuck to DSM2 for now. I came across a deal on Spektrum powersafe 12ch receivers. I had mine shipped to a US address and they paid the shipping... Never heard of them before, but they seem to have a strong following on ebay, and everything was legit in my purchase.

See this link.

Kelly

kev-o 05-13-2012 09:11 AM

Re: For those of you still flying on a DSM2 JR 12X...

what link?

hardcore 05-13-2012 10:19 AM

Click the word 'link' 8)

:cheers:

HC

Trumpetman 06-24-2012 09:33 PM

Is it real or a copy? This would bother me...

Kelly W 06-24-2012 10:08 PM

The thought crossed my mind at 1st. I took the following into account...
- I don't know of any counterfeit 'power safe' units out there. These units are for more of the higher end hardware users, thus lower volumes, and probably more attention to detail by users, so the risk in passing off counterfeit stuff is relatively higher.

- The retailer also sells a bunch of other JR/Spectrum hardware at regular price.

- they have a very good rating on eBay, and based in the US.

Based on that, I bought a couple and they appear legitimate in every way. It would be difficult to believe these are copies, from hardware down to packaging and documentation.

Kelly

Gsxr 06-27-2012 04:37 PM

I would be carefull putting one of these in an expensive airplane. Here is a quote from the link.
Attention: Horizon Hobby has confirmed that all Spektrum Products being sold by KoKo Technology are counterfeit. We consider it a danger to use these products, waive all liability and will not support any warranty or service in regards to them.

So for the extra few bucks you get the real thing from Horizon Hobby

Kelly W 06-28-2012 12:56 AM

Yeah, I get it. All I can definitively say is if you take their postal code and input it into the store locator on horizon hobby's web site, the retailer linked above is the 1st one listed. Pretty sure this is legitimate based on that and the above, and simply a case of a retailer blowing out obsoletes stock since one or 2 new communication protocols are out there since DSM2.

As a side note, here's another selling it for around the same deal...
(Link)

The fake 6ch receiver issue is both good and bad. It's obviously bad in terms of potential losses in quality control standards vs customer expectations. On the other hand, from a distributor or retailer's point of view, it does very well to limit price erosion on suspicion that any 'deal' is somehow illegitimate...

Horizon / spektrum are refusing to state exactly what the visible differences are, which is understandable but unfortunate for us. They do say that the differences are quite visible if you look for them on an illegitimate copy... So, I've had some time to look this unit over and compare it to an AR9100 I got 2nd hand (from kev-o, so it is legitimate...;)). I'm a P.Eng in the automotive industry, formerly in automated laser printing, and bicycles prior to that. Each of those industries rely heavily on Chinese / Taiwanese / other overseas manufacturers, so the variation in tolerances, precision of manufacturing, etc is not really a foreign subject. The part's surface finish, soldering quality, moulded edge roughness, consistency of complex surfaces, print quality+resolution of docs / labels, fasteners used, and everything down to the die used to trim the plastic packaging appear identical. Its hard (if not impossible) to duplicate a product on that level of detail.

Then again, I could be wrong and find that the trend of duplicating the smaller 6ch DSM2 receivers has spread all the way up to a power safe series. If I find that to be the case one day, I'll be sure to let you all know.

You are right to be careful though. I'm tempted to do that due to the risk level anyway. That's regardless of suspected QC issue on a fake, or potential for infant mortality issues on a true version... I'll probably test fly it in a trainer and push the range, but at this point I'm not expecting to get much in the way of hard data back.

Kelly

Dale Hunter 06-28-2012 01:43 AM

And in Canada.
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=SPMAR12100

-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Pepperpete 06-28-2012 10:32 AM

That is a really darn good price...

Pauld 06-29-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly W (Post 962621)

You are right to be careful though. I'm tempted to do that due to the risk level anyway. That's regardless of suspected QC issue on a fake, or potential for infant mortality issues on a true version... I'll probably test fly it in a trainer and push the range, but at this point I'm not expecting to get much in the way of hard data back.

Kelly

I can't wait to see Kelly fly a trainer. Full throttle dive straight down pulling out to a low pass 6" off the deck........at 20 mph :D

PaulD