RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   FPV (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Bixler 2 prop question (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=208260)

vgjunky 01-17-2014 06:49 PM

Bixler 2 prop question

Ok, I need the RCCanada gods to educate me on this one. I ordered a Bixler 2. After much reading and research I decided to upgrade the motor right away given that I am going to have a bunch of FPV gear in it. Anyway, when buying a prop for the motor do I need a "pusher" prop or no? I realize a regular APC prop mounted letters facing forward, but changing the motor wires around will get me spinning in the right direction, but I have read about people saying that because of the direction that the prop nut goes on, it loosens itself over time.

Can someone chime in on this for me?

Thanks!

patrizio_g 01-17-2014 07:45 PM

Re: Bixler 2 prop question

That is what I do but I use locktite to make sure the prop won't get loose ;)

P.

bcsaltchucker 01-17-2014 08:06 PM

I heard loctite can eat and make props break

I just upgraded the motor and used an 8 inch prop with a larger prop adaptor and motor relocation adaptor. I run such adaptors and most of my planes are pusher type. Never had a prop become unscrewed despite the torque pushing it that way.

Ths stock Bixler motor struggles to push this plane around with any amount of extra gear. Also watch if it is a Bixler 1, you will need to add a 2nd spar or the oem one will break (many did. Mine did at 400 ft and killed the plane). And the stock Bixler2 motor is even weaker for its size.

Max 01-17-2014 08:56 PM

You do not need a pusher prop. Just a standard prop will do. Most props have the writing (prop size) on the front of the pop. Make sure that is facing forward (ot the front of the plane) when installing it on the motor. Change the motor direction so that it is blowing back and you are all set.

I fly a Bixler1 in FPV and never had a problem with the prop coming loose ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker (Post 1419995)
Also watch if it is a Bixler 1, you will need to add a 2nd spar or the oem one will break (many did. Mine did at 400 ft and killed the plane). And the stock Bixler2 motor is even weaker for its size.

The dumbest thing about the Bixler 1 &2 is the main spar- not so much the spar itself but the way it is inset into the wings with the stupid foam cover over top(bottom of the wing). 100% of the wing loading is transferred to the foam cover. Too many people just don't glue it on with enough glue and wonder why the wings fold up in high G. Make sure the spar covers are solidly glued in from root to tip.

Speaking of which- High G should be avoided. Most planes have limits to the G's they can take. Why push it? Seen/hear too many people complain about wing failures in Bixlers, Skywalkers, Zephyr, etc wings folding, but the root cause is always a high G pullout from a steep dive. The big problem with FPV is the lack of sensation- especially when in a dive, it goes unnoticed and with just one abrupt yank on the stick, the wings fold.
Like this guy....Totally noob mistake....Wonders why his wings folded...
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

vgjunky 01-17-2014 09:05 PM

Yes it's a Bixler2, already reading up on all that. I got the motor figured out, putting a 2836-1800kv motor on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker (Post 1419995)
I heard loctite can eat and make props break

I just upgraded the motor and used an 8 inch prop with a larger prop adaptor and motor relocation adaptor. I run such adaptors and most of my planes are pusher type. Never had a prop become unscrewed despite the torque pushing it that way.

Ths stock Bixler motor struggles to push this plane around with any amount of extra gear. Also watch if it is a Bixler 1, you will need to add a 2nd spar or the oem one will break (many did. Mine did at 400 ft and killed the plane). And the stock Bixler2 motor is even weaker for its size.

bcsaltchucker 01-17-2014 09:32 PM

I have not flown the Bix 2. As with any plane ... keep it light as possible for best results. ie no Gopro! At least not on initial flights

vgjunky 01-17-2014 11:30 PM

Definitely what I am shooting for...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker (Post 1420075)
I have not flown the Bix 2. As with any plane ... keep it light as possible for best results. ie no Gopro! At least not on initial flights

patrizio_g 01-18-2014 11:25 AM

wow that was an interesting video to bad they never found out what happened :(

p.

sjd2 01-18-2014 01:41 PM

Was that a Bixler in the video? I have a V1 that Im rehabing right now. Just waiting for the motor and esc from HK.

bcsaltchucker 01-18-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrizio_g (Post 1420243)
wow that was an interesting video to bad they never found out what happened :(

p.

they know what happened. flew to close to the sun ... er too far out with Fr Sky. 2km is generally too much for 2.4, even with the cheapo, untuned patch. My Frsky drops out for sure at about 800m with oem antenna.