RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Fixed Wing (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Flite test versa wing (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=202030)

hbelanger 08-23-2013 04:10 PM

Flite test versa wing

6 Attachment(s)
Hi All just finished building flitest versa wing and will give it a try this weekend anyone in here try one yet ? please let me know your experience with it

uberjay 08-23-2013 04:35 PM

Re: Flite test versa wing

Hey nice job! Looks like a fun wing.

One suggestion/question... I see the prop & prop nut are not fully pushed onto the shaft. With a belly lander like this and a tough prop you could risk bending the shaft on a hard landing - especially if it's something like a Master AirScrew type prop. IF it's possible, moving the prop nut up flush/as close as you can to the motor bell should help avoid that.

Of course, I'm just going by the pics.... I also see your ESC's not plugged in yet so maybe you had just slipped the prop & nut on for the pic? :)

All the best... grab some vids if you can. I was interested in maybe doing one of these myself sometime. Would love a 3rd party perspective.

Cheers,
J

hbelanger 08-23-2013 05:21 PM

Yes it looks pretty good thanks for the input on the prop adapter never thought of that one....!
I guess I can just slide the shaft in the bell and not cut it since it's a pusher.
I hope the motor works well I've rewound an rc timer 2830/13 after I melted the coils on a FT spitefire a 4s 3000mah and 10x4.5 prop....

Here is a video --->

wild 08-23-2013 05:27 PM

Looks nice The Prop is on backwards ;)

uberjay 08-23-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild (Post 1371639)
Looks nice The Prop is on backwards ;)

Good catch.. how can you see that small writing? ;-)

Numbers always face forwards (edit: in the direction you want the plane to go :) ) .... it'll work the other way, but you won't get near the thrust you should get.

J

hbelanger 08-23-2013 09:40 PM

wow good eyes yes it was on backwards

Max 08-28-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbelanger (Post 1371617)
...and will give it a try this weekend ...

Well? How did it go? :)

hbelanger 08-28-2013 08:59 AM

oh yes sorry to keep you waiting ...!

Wow well first flight was short but sweet ....! It was really winding, but the wing took of as predicted with the typical nose dive, but full throttle and up elevator got me out of trouble. It fast stable but the wind was making it dance a little ....! it looked real nice in the air, but I had to show off on the second pass with a couple of rolls and a loop but came out of the rolls inverted and the loop ended up with a hard nose crash...!

I was shocked to see that the wing had minimum damage and could have flown but the engine month came off so it was off to the repair shop.

Next day Sunday) I was back still very winding so I didn't show off and had a blast with it. flies rock solid and tracks like an arrow I thing the added packing tape on the leading edge help lol. had about 20 minutes of flying time on it and 10 of those where slow pass almost hovering in the wind.

This was the simplest flite test plane to built and would recommend it to anyone that like flying wings as it is not as hard as the fpv40 to build and get the proper motor size and mount for it, that is all done for you.

I'll have flight videos this weekend.

Yours
Hugues

Max 08-30-2013 05:54 PM

Sweet!

Waiting for video...LOL ;) ;)

hbelanger 09-01-2013 05:11 PM

Here you go as promised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1HIX9OwJJGg