RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Ring finger vs Index Finger Length (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=57208)

whacker 07-01-2006 05:12 PM

Ring finger vs Index Finger Length

Hi
Does the length of your ring finger vs your index finger have any impact on your ability to learn how to fly RC Planes / Helicopters?? :?:

Any ideas/ what about the expert fliers you know is their ring finger longer then their index finger?

WHacker :D

igor_throw_the_switch 07-01-2006 07:20 PM

I guess it depends on how you measure the digits. If I hold my hand up with the fingers together, the ring finger is a bit longer than my index finger. I'm also a certified expert at the figure 9 maneuver :roll:

Brad

Argus 07-01-2006 07:59 PM

finger length

Whacker,

Are you asking this out of the blue, or did you see the article relating the relative finger length to the amount of testosterone a person has?

Wade

whacker 07-01-2006 08:57 PM

Fring index finger

Hi
I had seen a show recently where there was some unique test done and predictions were made on the outcome, based on the length of the ring finger with respect to the index finger..
There was a group of women asked to operate the hoe part of a backhoe to pickup a bucket by the bail... with the teeth on the hoe bucket, and one women in particular did quite well ....

She had longer ring fingers then index fingers.. and yes I believe it was also being suggested that there was some link to testosterone levels in human embryos???

Also, a race , 6 guys and quite accurate predictions made on the outcome...

I'm just curious if the relationship between what the eye sees, and how the hands reacts, could be determined in some way, by comparing ring finger to index finger length.
Photocopy your hand and then do some type of measurement from the base to the tip, as in the tests...
Or just have a look, I no that when I look at my hand the ring finger is longer then the index fingure, and on my wifes hand it's the opposite and I wouldn't let her near the "sticks" LOL

Also could this be used as an indicator to determine whether one could be easily taught how to fly RC ??
Or maybe a simple little showing of hands at the next Fun Fly, may confirm that those with long ring fingers are the better fliers and took up the "art of flying" much easier.

WHacker

hillmanr2 07-01-2006 11:46 PM

seruiosly?

The diffrence between a good rc pilot and a great one has to do with muscle memory based on the type of practicing you do. If you fly without practicing set manuevers or work toward learning a certian maneuver you can never improve.
Short fingers, long fingers it dosen't matter. Learn to use your left hand (rudder, throttle) as well as you can use your right hand (aileron, elevator)

ronm 07-02-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillmanr2
seruiosly?

The diffrence between a good rc pilot and a great one has to do with muscle memory based on the type of practicing you do. If you fly without practicing set manuevers or work toward learning a certian maneuver you can never improve.
Short fingers, long fingers it dosen't matter. Learn to use your left hand (rudder, throttle) as well as you can use your right hand (aileron, elevator)

:TU: :yeah:

Guest 07-02-2006 08:08 AM

Just like the grat atheletes: practice, practice, practice, and then practice, practice, practice!

My University sport was (is?) fencing, and the best fencers took lesson after lesson after lesson, working on drills to fix the action into the brain and body., so that the reaction and counter-attack become automatic (parry six, counter-parry, riposte!)

If you ask the top level fencers what they were thinking about during a match, it's usually strategy not how its being implemented, or "I saw the opening, I went for it!"

Yes, genetics plays a big role in inate abilities but that gets you only so far. How many people pick up a set of golf clubs or a hockey stick and immediately show that level of skill that you see with Tiger or Wayne?

The combination of training AND ability is what made Tiger and Wayne great. Take away the influence of his father and his training methods and you have a good player; his father's methods by themselves, again a good player.

Morison 07-02-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillmanr2
Learn to use your left hand (rudder, throttle) as well as you can use your right hand (aileron, elevator)

some would suggest that you learn to use your left hand (rudder, elevator) as well as you can use your right hand(throttle, aileron) :-)

whacker 07-02-2006 11:27 AM

Fingers

Hi
I wasn't about to seriously suggest, that this, length differential is what would determine whether or not you could become a good flyer...
Obviously practice and more practice is very important...

I have heard/seen that there are some people who find it very difficult to learn and thought maybe there would be a tendency towards longer index fingers vs ring fingers amongst that group.
The next time I'm out at the Field , I'm going to do a little show of hands and form some other opinions...

According to this TV show it was suggested that these, long index , short ring, people are more empathetic, a good trait!!

hillmanr2
Interesting re repetitive muscle use, this no doubt would play a significant role, I guess kinda linked to the practice, practice idea...

WHacker

Guest 07-02-2006 12:42 PM

repetitive muscle use? Size of your fingers? Posted by a guy named "Whacker"?

Am I still on RC Canada ;) sounds like a self pleasure forum all of a sudden, although, I suppose RC is a form of self pleasure :P LOL