RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Jet Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Wren announces XL200 !!! (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=60274)

Len 11-05-2006 07:09 PM

Wren announces XL200 !!!

This one took me quite by surprise: Wren has today announced an XL200 16Kg thrust engine due out in the spring. Weight 1.8 Kg 120mm diameter, and 274mm length...larger case diameter than most in this class (112mm is common). Much shorter length!
Len

nony 11-05-2006 08:03 PM

Yeah, I didn't think they would enter that end of the market, but it is a nice compliment to their line up....

747drvr 11-06-2006 07:53 AM

This will be perfect for my Su-27 . I'll then have the complete Wren collector set !

Marc

nony 11-06-2006 08:22 AM

Does that mean that you have all three editions of the 54 ?? :D

A complete set is pretty hard to find these days,,,imagine a hundred and fifty years from now when the Antique Road Show visits your town...your estate would be worth Gazillions!!! :D :D :D :D

Kelly W 11-06-2006 09:55 AM

I didn't read anything about the XL having a 54mm turbine wheel? Did I miss something? That kinda power would most likely require a 66 or 70mm wheel.

It'll be interesting to see how this motor turns out! The increase in diameter make the diffuser much more efficient, and even a little helps...

I wonder if it'll limit the number of potential installations due to some kits out there being designed for engines that are based on a 107mm diffuser. Regardless, it is refreshing to see a new engine on the market that doesn't share all the historical features and dimensions of the MW-54 or KJ-66 though!

Kelly

WrenTurbines 11-06-2006 10:30 AM

No, the XL doesn't have a 54mm wheel - it's a 71.

I thought it was about time I joined RCCanada. Please excuse me for not being Canadian, may I be admitted on the grounds that I have some very good friends in Canada? I've been lurking on this site for a couple of years and have been very impressed by the good manners and good sense shown by the contributors. We have a dealer and some good customers in Canada who have occasionally answered questions on Wren's behalf, but this time I decided that the questions should be answered directly by Wren.

We have always made turbine wheels in various sizes, not just our own 54s. We have supplied hundreds of 66 size turbine wheels to other companies and at present have a range of 7 wheels from 44mm to 72mm.

Kelly has a good point, that the new XL won't fit into some of the 160-size installations. However, we figure that if people really want to use it, they'll find a way - for example people are putting P80s into the small Boomerang which was designed round the 54. And maybe kit designers will look at our engine when they are designing new kits...

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines

Helijet 11-06-2006 10:44 AM

Welcome to Canada Sara! The Wren line has always been held in high esteem here and it is great that the company's principal keeps an eye on happenings :D

Dean Wichmann
www.pstna.com

Kelly W 11-06-2006 10:46 AM

Welcome to RCCanada Sara!

Any chance Wren will be offering the 71mm wheel and NGV's for home built turbine applications?

Kelly

747drvr 11-06-2006 11:11 AM

Hi Sara,

I'll also extend a warm welcome to our very well mannered forum ! I was struggling to decide which big engine to get and I'm so glad you made my decision easy . I hate to try to pin you to a date but what's your best estimate month wise for availability ? I won't necessarily hold you to it :wink:

Marc

WrenTurbines 11-06-2006 11:11 AM

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Kelly,

I expect the wheel and NGV will be available at some time in the future.

Dean,

I'm glad we are held in high esteem - but I'm not the company principal, far from it! I am a humble employee, the Directors (Mike Murphy, Terry Lee and my husband Roger Parish) are the ones who are the principals. I'm just "the lady in the office" and my function is to look after the rest of the world whilst the guys get on with the important business of making engines. I deal with the phone, emails and forums .... the guys long ago discovered that if I'm busy elsewhere they can get along in peace in the workshop...

Marc,

Thanks for being a true Wren collector - we will have to print a special T-shirt with "I've got the complete Wren Collection" for you and a couple of other guys.

I daren't put any estimates in print.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines