RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   How Does your club handle? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=110386)

robpreston 09-07-2010 09:58 AM

How Does your club handle?

We have a gentleman that wants to join the club to fly his helicopter.
witch is a 600 size nitro..
the problem we have is that he does not know how to fly it nor dose he have his wings and we are not equipped to train or for that matter put him on a buddy box..

now trying to be diplomatic and still think of the safety aspect about it ... how does other clubs go about this?

because we don't want to just say no you cant fly.

Is there a normal procedure for ppl that fly heli's

Buzz 09-07-2010 10:00 AM

Re: How Does your club handle?

We limited Helicopter memberships to 10 several years ago. We dont offer training for helos, and before you are granted membership for helo flying you must have cleared the wings program at the Toronto RC Heli club.

Caygeon Flyer 09-07-2010 10:56 AM

We have had one or two heli pilots over the years, who have come in with experience. There has not been enough interest to offer more services.

I suggest that your new applicant visit the nearby Peterborough club, as they have several good heli pilots and may be able to help him better.

Caygeon Flyer

Guest 09-07-2010 11:05 AM

At the risk of sounding callous, it would be better to explain the situation and why the fellow can't fly at your field and risk making one person mad, than allow him to fly and risk a serious incident that will affect many people.

robpreston 09-07-2010 11:14 AM

here's another question:
do you make this person go through the wings program... witch would make him buy a new or used plane to get his wings.... if heli's is all he wants to fly?...

VERTOL 09-07-2010 11:16 AM

Why don't you convince him to fly Airplanes too?

Cdallas2 09-07-2010 11:40 AM

Segregation....... That's the answer :rolleyes:

So instead of having him fly at your field in a safe place he will probably go down to the park or school and try and learn there by himself instead.

The skill and knowledge of knowing how to fly an airplane has exactly zero influence on how to fly a helicopter. I flew airplanes for many years and started with helicopters in August of 2009. It took over 6 months of practicing to do anything more than tail-in hover.

Welcome him with open arms to the RC community and give him all the moral support he needs.

If he has been using a sim for awhile he will probably impress you rather quickly.

danorn 09-07-2010 11:42 AM

lol, Chris beat me to it well said.

As a heli and plane flyer, I know how hard it was to teach myself how to fly helis. The best suggestion I can offer is to encourage this gentleman to get a simulator and practice practice practice. Then slowly start the process of learning on his own in a corner of your field if able when other members at the field are watching. You never know, maybe another planker might pick up flying a heli and you have just increased your membership :)

Daniel

robpreston 09-07-2010 12:00 PM

I know just learning how to fly my heli it was a hand full... but i had my wings first. along with the 5 other heli guys..

so here is another Question:
Is there a wings program through MAAC for Heli's... looked today and came up with nothing...

danorn 09-07-2010 12:07 PM

So I miss understood your first post and thought there was nobody in the club flying helis. Are there 6 heli pilots in this club that are unable to help him learn?