RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Deitchman 1/3 Fokker EII (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=422129)

Sukhoi 68 04-18-2016 09:44 AM

Deitchman 1/3 Fokker EII

5 Attachment(s)
Time to start a new project! In staying with my WW1 German theme, I have started to finish a 1/3, 124" Fokker EII "Eindecker". The plans are a blown up version of Ron Deitchman's 54" EII from 1958. Obviously there will be some mods for strength and functionality. I will be using ailerons on this model, again for functionality and make it more user friendly. I will model it after Ernst Udets EII 105/15 from 1916.

Scott

Sukhoi 68 04-18-2016 09:53 AM

Re: Deitchman 1/3 Fokker EII

8 Attachment(s)
The fuselage is built up wood dowel and aircraft ply wood front sides. The stringers are all tide together with wire rigging and turnbuckles. The gear assembly will be fully functional as per the original full size EII.

The wings are standard balsa and ply construction. I will be adding ailerons. The flying wires will be fully functional.

The stab and rudder will be built up balsa and carbon fiber construction. The stab has already been covered in Sig Koverall....trying something new.....

Scott

Phil202 04-18-2016 12:02 PM

:sFun_drool2: Awesome!! :sFun_drool2:

I got my Proctor patiently waiting, i think watching this will give it a early start!

Sukhoi 68 06-20-2016 09:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was able to get some time in the hobby room this weekend. I started on the rudder. As you can see the plans have been blown up considerably. The center post is carbon fiber rod with aircraft plywood ribs.

Scott

Sukhoi 68 07-04-2016 09:39 AM

10 Attachment(s)
The wet weather has allowed me to get into the hobby room......The rudder is now complete. Its a mix of plywood, balsa and carbon fiber. As usual I have pinned everything with small carbon fiber rod and thin CA. All in all a very lite and strong structure.

Scott

ishmatt 07-04-2016 11:00 AM

beautiful craftsmanship, especially with the blend of materials including carbon fibre,
cheers

Sukhoi 68 07-25-2016 09:35 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Thanks!
I covered, rib stitched and painted the rudder assembly. Solartex and latex paint again. I used Scale Rib Stitch this time and it worked out well. I also decided to remove the Koverall from the elevator as painting it would have added to much weight in this critical area. I re-covered it with the correct Linen colour of Solartex. The rudder hinge assembly required some research and design work, but I think I have come up with a system that will be both functional and true to scale. Next project is the tail skid/lower rudder hinge assembly. This will be a combination of aluminum tube and carbon fiber.

ishmatt 07-25-2016 11:17 AM

I look forward to seeing how you incorporate the carbon fibre- with thanks for these great shots,
Matt

Sukhoi 68 07-27-2016 01:06 PM

12 Attachment(s)
I started to figure out how to build the tail skid/rudder hinge assembly. I am mocking up the assembly in aluminum to get all the angles etc. I will be building the assembly from brass and carbon fiber. The ends will be brass tubing so I can solder the joints and the length in between will be carbon fiber. The carbon fiber tube will just slide into the brass tubing ends. I will mix up some JB Weld when I join the brass and carbon fiber. The tail skid itself will be made of wood and have a bungee on the front.

Scott

williame3590 07-27-2016 01:45 PM

Very excellent Scott, sending you a PM regarding a Glenn Torrence DR 1 package deal.

Bill