RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   model heli accident Israel (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=39599)

Kevin McGrath 03-23-2004 04:51 PM

model heli accident Israel

I have heard rumors of a model heli accident in Israel resulting in life threatening injuries to a young boy .
Has anyone picked up anything on this?
If not could one of you net whizzes manage to find anything in international news reports or similar?
I would very much like to have something factual at the AGM and im leaving at 6am tomorrow..........

Thanks..........Kevin

WildBill 03-23-2004 04:53 PM

accident

I read something about that on rcuniverse i think ill see if i can find it and post the link

WildBill 03-23-2004 04:55 PM

accident

Found it

unfortunatly, we suffered a terrible accident this friday when a r/c heli ramed into a 12 years old boy who came as a viewer to watch his fathers friend flying.

things are currently under police investigation with the assistance of a special arial accident investigator.
apparently the pilot lost control (it is yet unclear wheather is was due to a tecnical problem or not),
resulting the helicopter to decent rapidly and accelerate towards a group of peolpe who came to watch and hit the young boy head-on in the head.
I must mention the it is not an authorised tlying field thus no safety fences!
as there are only about 3-4 authorised fields in here people just find wide open spaces and a good abandoned piece of raod and gather around them for flying.garage area, taxi area and flying area are known but nothing marks them.

the boy is now still in critical condition, in the hospital after a head cergury, still unconsciouse since friday.

a very sad story that made a lot of echos here about the way we handle our aircrafts.
a lot of criticism is being heard from the non flying public about the hazards of the hobby.

hopefully the boy will survive this accidend,
all my hopes for his well being

There have been no updates as of yet on his condition, i will keep checkin though.

britbrat 04-03-2004 01:10 PM

The Israeli boy has died.

Kevin McGrath 04-03-2004 02:15 PM

Thats four fatalities in the last two years.
One in Isreal,two in the US,and one in the UK.
All four were of the model hits human variety,and of these, two were innocent child bystanders.
Two involved helis,and two relatively small glow powered trainer/sport designs.
Tell me again that you can teach yourself to fly.Tell me again that organized clubs with strict safety rules take all the fun out of flying or that it isnt necessary to have catch fences,or we need not land combat models which have just had a mid-air. :x

Hughes500E 04-03-2004 02:58 PM

Accidents are going to happen. It is a sad sad thing but accidents are simply going to happen. Given the large amount of flyers worldwide I don't think 4 is a reason to create widespread noise.
Fly safe!

Kevin McGrath 04-03-2004 04:51 PM

I know the details of all these accidents and all of them were avoidable with the application of the most rudimentary safety rules.
I cant agree that even one death is unavoidable and I dont want it to happen at my club or in this country.
One major insurance claim for an avoidable death = no insurance=no MAAC= no hobby sport as we know it.
The media will take care of the "widespread noise" if it will sell air time or newspapers,and they dont need my help.

nosedive 04-03-2004 05:09 PM

Odd thing is, there are dozens of hunting "accidents" every year and many of those are fatal. They usually end up on page 10 or 15 and might get a 30 second spot on the local news. Not so exciting because they are relatively common. A model airplane accident however....THAT'S BIG NEWS! DANGEROUS HOBBY! BAN THE SPORT! MODEL AIRPLANES CAN BE USED FOR TERRORISM! :roll: What about lunatics with guns?????? The press tiries to sell their papers/radio/TV advertising by grabbing on to what they feel they can sensationalize.
Don't get me wrong, those deaths are sad, tragic, and completely avoidable. Let's do our best not to let anything like this happen again.