RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   weird noise? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=115865)

rcstraat 12-27-2010 08:55 AM

weird noise?

Hey Guys, So I finally got to drive my savage x...
But I noticed a weird cling noise when the truck shuts off...
I sealed the engine so now im hoping I didnt do anything wrong!
All I can think off what the noise would be is the clutch shoes going back together.. Please give me some info on this..
Besides this its running great.. Engine is broken in and did some fine tuning!

Sweet truck man!!

nathanraina 12-28-2010 12:55 AM

Re: weird noise?

can to get a video of it? that would make it a lot easier to help out.

rcstraat 12-28-2010 05:51 PM

I have nothing to make a video with at the moment. But I figured out thats its not the clutch shoes.. Still not sure what it is...
Its like something is inside of the engine!!! I took the engine off and took the backplate off.. and looks and checked things just to make sure nothing is inside.. Now the arm that holds the pistion has a little pin with a spring that connects with the backplate so the engine starts... that pin seems really loose.. The pin seems slightly smaller then the hole... is there a part around the pin that I might of lost inside the engine! Nothing fell out today when I took it apart... advise advise pleaseee

timsted 12-28-2010 06:55 PM

nope, that pin is ok, and depending on how you shut down your engine, it is most likely your piston/crank going backwards and engaging the starter, or rattling the clutchbell.

rcstraat 12-28-2010 07:55 PM

I put my finger on the exhaust to shut it off..
So if your right what your saying will this hurt the engine or any other parts?
Is this normal? What can I do?
Sorry for all the question but something seems weird!!

6sHyper 12-28-2010 08:09 PM

Is the motor barnd new or almost? Alot of times just the metals cooling down can make a ping noise right after you shut it down, also i tend to prefer turning it off by pinching the fuel line, this way it burns off the fuel and then theres not really any leftover fuel in the cylinder, the fuel contains things that can attract moisture so best to get rid of as much as possible then add some after run oil to lubricate for storage, and turn the crank over untill the piston is at bottom dead center for storage, put a mark on the flywheel where it is so doing it is easy every time you put it away if you do this it will prolong the life of your nitro engines.

rcstraat 12-28-2010 09:02 PM

Its a brand new savy x 4.6... I havent put in any after run oil in it as I been running for a bit everyday! Also because of the cold weather and the truck sitting in the garage where its also very cold could that be a factor? Also its pretty hard to start the engine! But im sure thats because of the cold weather. Does it matter that the fuel is stored in the garage?

marco2236 12-28-2010 10:37 PM

Both my wifes Savage Xss and my Hellfire did this when the engines were new.

This is the best thing to shut down a Savage..

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HPI85068

6sHyper 12-28-2010 11:06 PM

I store my nitro in the garage, dont think thats gonna be any bit of an issue. A new motor shouldn't be hard to start though, but if your new to nitro you probably dont know the little tricks to get them primed. I myself always hold the throttle wide open and pull the fuel line off the exhaust and blow untill i see the fuel reach the carb, then i know the fuel is there, dont overdo it or you will flood it. Once thats there i pull it twice with no igniter, then i put the igniter on hold it for 3 seconds and then start pulling, usually starts within 5 pulls on first run of the day, after that it always starts on one pull when its warmed up. Its better not to pull like crazy rather make single full pulls allowing the cord to fully retract between pulls this way you get more stroke with the piston.

Start using after run oil everyday and put that piston to bottom dead center every time at the end of the day, trust me your motor will last way longer, and there not cheap to replace.