RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Large Engines (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   EME 55 with built in starter system (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=195591)

paulbipe 03-26-2013 03:46 PM

EME 55 with built in starter system

6 Attachment(s)
A few weeks ago I bought an EME 55 with built in electric starter from Lorne and I finally got to run it today!!!

Before I could run it I needed an engine test stand that I could store easily. After reviewing the build thread on Trev's stand along with his later mods ( read shameful stealing of ideas:eek::eek:!) I decided to build mine to fit an aluminum table that used to hold my lathe. While aluminum may be a light metal, tables that are built using 1/4" thick and larger aluminum are not light! so the idea was born to chainsaw Trev's table in half and only use the top half. so that is what I did, essentially. It is built using some scrap 3/4 and 1/2 inch ply that was laying around that I glued and screwed together with 3" screws.

The front of the test stand overhangs the table and I will eventually drill and tap into the aluminum so that the stand will be bolted to the front angle iron and the table top. Right now I have it clamped with big C clamps! Next trip to Canadian tire and I will get some wire holders to clean up the wiring as it flaps around in the breeze when the engine is running. I also plan on screwing on some Tee Track so I can have an adjustable support (or two):D for holding tuned pipes or canisters of differing lengths.

SO does it work?

The answer is Yes and very well too :D:D as I got some running time in this afternoon before company arrived.

paulbipe 03-26-2013 04:38 PM

Re: EME 55 with built in starter system

4 Attachment(s)
I do not plan on taking any internal pic of the engine as it is essentially the same as the EME 60 and Brad did an excellent job on the pics for that motor. The one difference that I can see is that the muffler has a smoke fitting already installed on it.
The engine was super clean internally and the leaves of the reed block sealed well and the block did not need further surfacing.

What you get in the package is very complete. The ignition unit is the old style and must be run at 6 volts or less. All screws are included and appear to be good quality. The gearing for the starter package is really robust and well finished off. The screws that fix the engine to the stand-off have a lock washer and a flat washer installed on them and because the screw uses an upset thread the washers are captured and can not come off (easily). An upset thread is where the threads of the screw is a larger diameter than the shank portion of the screw.

I mentioned to Lorne that I would do a test of the engine and he has sent me a starter switch to test at the same time. ( pic at the bottom)

My sequence for testing will be to get the engine running on the stock muffler and record some numbers on a break in prop as a base line measurement. This will be done using fresh gas at 30:1 oil mix on a 22 x 8 wood prop. After about an hour or so of running I will switch to a 23 x 8 wood prop and later to a carbon prop. This will give me a baseline for all future testing. At this point the engine should be loosened up enough and I will be using the starter switch to get things rolling.

Step two will be to remove the stock muffler and go to a canister and header arrangement and repeat the readings.

Step three will be to install a Bowman ring and repeat step two.

At some point in the process (sooner than later) I will probably re-time the ignition as it looks to be around 40 degrees of advance.

That is the plan.

Right now I have almost one tank of gas through the engine and I have seen some loosening up already.
The idle speed has fallen steadily and I can hold 1300 rpm for several minutes and still get a swift acceleration to full throttle.
Full throttle was around 6800 rpm and has now risen to 6900 rpm.
Some roughness was seen around 3500 rpm but a bit of playing with the low speed needle smoothed that out.

I really do not have the knack for hand starting but even I can get this puppy started on one or two flips or the prop. Even the first start of the motor only took a few flip after choking it over. I did get a few kick backs which re-enforces the thought that the initial advance is way to much. I did have the muffler come loose but putting double lock washers on the screws has fixed that.

First impression is that this is one smooth running engine :D:D that accelerates well from idle to full throttle.:D:D

paulbipe 03-27-2013 02:47 PM

Today was a day of mixed blessings testing wise:(:(.

When I went to start the engine this morning I got a BIG kick back followed by several minutes of mumbling that warmed the garage up quite a bit and one thumping hand. Glove or no glove when you are not expecting a kick back it stings!!!!!!!!!!!

SO... it became ignition advance checking time. After removing the starting gears to get access to the screws holding the pick-up in place I found the timing was set to 42 degrees BTDC. The characteristics of the Rcexcl ignition is that it has a total of 31 degrees of retard built into it. With the minimum retard being at 8000 rpm.

The spark fires when the trailing edge of the magnet passes the trailing edge of the pick-up.

The engine is at TDC when the keyway in the crankshaft is in line with the vertical casting web in front of the cylinder ie the keyway is straight up and inline with the cylinder. With a little bit of playing I determined the actual at rest advance on the engine is 41 degrees. By slackening the screws on the pick-up I could move the pick-up around to give me 35 degrees BTDC static advance. I thought I had a spare sensor holder that had a longer set of slots than the one on the engine but it must have grown legs and walked away from where I thought I stored it:(:(:(. But no fear...35 degrees static advance translates to 4 degrees advance at 400 rpm and 35 degrees at 8000 rpm. If I wanted to get less advance I would have to drill and tap some new holes.

After all that I went back outside and fueled up and cranked it over. Two things immediately became apparent ..NO Kick back:D:D and I can now get it to start on the first or second flip:eek::eek: after it warmed up I did a full throttle run and it was still at 6900 rpm on a 22 x 8 prop and idle was now a solid 1300 rpm BUT i had lost a vibration around 3500 rpm that I had seen previously. Acceleration was instantaneous from a prolonged idle to full throttle. I had reset the throttle needles to factory setting prior to starting and found that I needed to lean out both the low and high needles. Something that is quite easy to do even at high rpms.

Later switched to a 23 x 8 wood prop (same make as the 22") and took some high and low rpm readings. The high rpm reading was 6400rpm and the idle was 1000 rpm and I could have gone lower. This I did expect as the bigger prop has a larger flywheel effect. I would guess that a 24 x 8 prop would turn around 5900 to 6000 rpm.

next up is to modify the test stand to allow for adjustments and get the header/canister installed and tested.

Bdegan 03-27-2013 05:27 PM

Nice Paul!!!

You have to do video of the start up sequence ;-)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca 03-27-2013 07:04 PM

332 Attachment(s)
Perfect paul, I am waiting to see what you think of the electric starter. Remember only turn over for 2-3 sec at a time. I would like to know how robust you think the starter is. We stock the 55 because I think it is a good engine for a good price. After figuring out how robust the starter is I will stock more motor starters

Thanks Paul:D

paulbipe 03-28-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdegan (Post 1330992)
Nice Paul!!!

You have to do video of the start up sequence ;-)

not yet..being an old guy I do not have a good video camera in my phone. but will try to borrow one and get some "engine running shots" this weekend.

bhughes 03-28-2013 06:40 PM

Glad you like it. Subscribing I want a good float plane engine so the elec starter has me curious

Dale Hunter 03-28-2013 06:46 PM

I'm in, interested in what you think of the 55. Direct comparison to a DLE55, actually. I have a used DLE55 which is just a killer. I quite like it. Hope this 55 proves to be an equal. The starter has deffinate applications, as Brodie has stated. Or an "Old Guy" that can't bend over and flip hard much anymore.
-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca 03-28-2013 07:29 PM

332 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Hunter (Post 1331275)
I'm in, interested in what you think of the 55. Direct comparison to a DLE55, actually. I have a used DLE55 which is just a killer. I quite like it. Hope this 55 proves to be an equal. The starter has deffinate applications, as Brodie has stated. Or an "Old Guy" that can't bend over and flip hard much anymore.
-Dale-

You should be able to bend over dale!!!! At least for a few more years:rolleyes::roll::wink:

Good Grief 03-28-2013 08:21 PM

LOL Bad front or bad back Dale???