RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Heli Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Raptor Tail Servo - Hitec? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=75082)

dcaranci 05-04-2008 08:47 AM

Raptor Tail Servo - Hitec?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has tried out the Hitec HS-6965HB as a tail rotor servo on a Raptor 30?

It's quite a bit cheaper than the "industry standard" Futaba S9254, and since I'm likely not going to get into 3D I was contemplating saving a bit of cash and going for the Hitec.

Anyone got an opinion on this? Is the Hitec a pretty good servo? Not much on the net to research.

Thanks...
D

dialtonehunter 05-04-2008 09:37 AM

Re: Raptor Tail Servo - Hitec?

No experience on that servo as a tail servo, but should work good on 5v, but faster on 6v. the faster the speed the better for tail rudder applications

Heli3dflyr 05-04-2008 10:51 AM

Great tail rotor servo, I have used one on a Raptor 90SE, and a gasser with great success :)

jester4 05-05-2008 07:07 PM

Been using the 6965 now for almost 2 seasons as a tail servo and it still doing well. I've had it in my 90 and 30, and I just put one in my new 50.

NTM 05-07-2008 01:59 AM

They're okay on lightly powered machines, you may need to upgrade it later though, depending on what you move up to.

jester4 05-07-2008 06:16 AM

Lightly powered machines? I don't think so.

The torque of the servo is almost 100 oz, and the speed is .08, those numbers are high end servo territory. I've used it on my 90 with great success, and now it's going in my hotrod 50.

The "industry standard" 9254 is a good servo, but not going in any of my machines based on it's reported failure rate. Nothing wrong with Hitec, I think they are WAAAY underrated...

Ramz 05-07-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester4 (Post 526238)
Lightly powered machines? I don't think so.

The torque of the servo is almost 100 oz, and the speed is .08, those numbers are high end servo territory. I've used it on my 90 with great success, and now it's going in my hotrod 50.

The "industry standard" 9254 is a good servo, but not going in any of my machines based on it's reported failure rate. Nothing wrong with Hitec, I think they are WAAAY underrated...

I think he was referring to the engine power...not the servo power. You can get away with lesser gear if you are doing basic flight and mild aerobatics but if you want to crank the headspeed and start experimenting with some more aggressive aerobatics, a higher quality tail servo may be desirable. I have used Hitec's 5955's Titanium gear 333oz servos on my gassers and they have been flawless so far. Excellent servo for the money....although IMHO all of the high torque/speed servos are way way overpriced. Hitec must be making a killing on the higher end servos....especially if they can build and sell a standard servo for 8 dollars.

jester4 05-07-2008 10:14 PM

I think the original question is for that servo doing tail duty, which is more than capable for 3d . The servo you are referring to would be used more as a collective servo, although a little on the slower side for hard 3d.

cassat 05-07-2008 11:14 PM

Yeah, I think a good choice. I had a newer 9254 go Kapoot last season for no reason as well as a S3151 digital lose connections and both were mounted properly. Hitec electronics seem to have better quality control IMO .

dcaranci 05-13-2008 08:34 AM

Ok, thanks for the advice... so I picked up the HS-6965HB the other day and now installed it into the new Raptor 30. The servo now makes a horrid noise... sounds like high pitched electronics about to explode.

This is my first experience with the digital servos, and wondering if this is normal or not?

I found something on the internet saying it is, other things saying if the stress is removed the sound goes away... but even with the servo sitting on the table out of the heli, but connected to the gyro it still squeels.

It seems to work fine, but the noise is very irritating... is it ok or should I be concerned?

Please help... before I damage something!

Thanks...
D