RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   ARF / ARC Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Aeroworks 50cc edge 540 (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=207371)

Jsp 12-24-2013 06:20 AM

Aeroworks 50cc edge 540

2 Attachment(s)
Yay the big boxes of sexy got delivered the other day!! so I thought I would do a little thread so you can follow along with the "assembly" of my purdy new plane.

So I decided on the edge from aeroworks because I wanted a aerobatic monoplane and since I've had a extra300 and an sbach, I thought I would go with an edge. And after assembling my aeroworks checkmate, there really isn't another Arf manufacturer that even comes close to the quality or great flying characteristics as aeroworks.

I chose the orange and black scheme as I love the look of it. And it's kind of my trademark. The last 3 aerobatic monoplanes I've had have been orange. So I may as well keep up the tradition. Also the other 2 schemes look like Easter threw up all over them. :s.

I'm going to be keeping this plane pretty simple try to keep the weight down. We all know the aeroworks planes are always a bit chubby. But built well and strong so I don't mind. I guess you could say its weight in all the right places lol

For starters I'm going to be running a DA50 with header and KS rear exit can. I purchased a 23/8 cf zoar prop and depending on where the c of g is will dictate if I use a nice 3.5" cf spinner. Or a 3.5" tru-turn polished ultimate spinner

For servos I chose to go with some new savox SA1256-TG servos with some pretty seacraft arms, Tons of torque and plenty fast. All of the servo leads I will be making my self with twisted silicone wire from thunderbolt.

As far as batteries go I have been running all my planes (except for the turbine) LiFe batteries. And I will be keeping the tradition with that as well. This lets me run straight voltage with out the need for a regulator. I pondered the thought of trying lipos for this set up but thought I would maintain my KISS formula that works pretty well for me. I haven't decided on what switches to use yet as I used to use the miracle switches. But have had some issues with them and I have lost some trust. So if you guys have any ideas on what you like and can recommend I'd appreciate it. So I'll leave this aspect of the build undecided as of now.

I'm looking into getting the cf bits for the plane also. I will most likely get the cf stab tubes. I'm probably going to keep the aluminum wing tube as I like the idea of if it bends I can still fly it to have a safe and happy for everyone landing. If the cf one breaks, it just simply won't turn out to be pretty. For the extra 4 or so OZs I don't mind if she's a little chubby. Just means I can toss her around and be a little rougher with her!

This plane will be my go to plane.the one that gets the most flights. The most abuse and the most smiles. And well I'm sure the occasional oh ----!

Feel free to follow along on the progress and please comment or add any suggestions along the way. I love hearing your feedback. Afterall if I didn't get any feedback or comments I wouldn't learn anything would I!

I'll post some pics tonight.

Dale Hunter 12-24-2013 08:42 AM

Re: Aeroworks 50cc edge 540

Subscribed.
Jason last spring I had the White/yellow/blue one (easter colors). It was my go-to airframe. But a fella loved my ZDZ 60, and this airframe. So I sold it.
I lost a 100cc Extra 300 from Aeroworks. Nearly replaced it with the same orange Edge (100cc) Aeroworks airframe.
I, too am a real fan of Aeroworks. For my style of flying, they perform great. Bring lots of enjoyment to me (not much 3D for me).

Enjoy your assembly.

-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca 12-25-2013 07:33 PM

332 Attachment(s)
Nice looking plane. Keep it light. Dales plane was a great flyer but a little heavy on landings ;););)

BansheeBoy 12-26-2013 11:22 PM

Is that orange scheme a 100cc or new colour for the 50cc? Like lorne said keep it light.

Jsp 12-27-2013 07:59 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Yes Jeff, Its a new (ish) colour from Aeroworks. Its the exact same scheme as the 100cc version. I loved the colours on the 100cc one and seriously considered going for that one, But I wanted a nice 50cc plane I can fly regularly. So when I saw I could get the 50cc edge in the pumpkin scheme I had to have it. Aeroworks didn't have any in stock until mid February, but luckily My Buddy was able to set me up over at AMR.

Im going to try to keep it as light as possible with out putting it on a balsa/ply diet. Im just going to keep it as simple as possible. and clean as possible with wiring. Making my own will allow me to not have unnecessary wires hanging around. I also plan to go with a Fiji water bottle set up. I only do about 10-12 min flights so the 750cc fuel tank is enormous!!!!! I wouldn't use half that in a flight.

Anyways, I finally had some time yesterday to get a few things accomplished. I got the heat gun out, the trusty iron, and sat down in my favorite plane room chair. put in a VHS of the 1992 Oshkosh airshow and got to work! after ironing and sealing was complete, I got the wings all set up with servos and linkages. I ironed in the clear ultracote on the wing/aileron gap. (I've never this step I thought I would try it and see if even makes a difference) the gap was very small I doubt you would even slide a credit card between the wing and aileron.

I then mixed up some 30 min epoxy and put the hinges into the vertical stab. After letting that cure for an hour or so it was time to put on the rudder.

today after a quick stop at great hobbies, or skycraft to get some switches, and odds and ends I will get the engine mounted and a few more things done.

Jsp 12-27-2013 08:02 AM

8 Attachment(s)
A few more pics.

FD av8r 12-29-2013 06:49 PM

I didn't see that color scheme on the Aeroworks site...was it available a while back? I love that finish, but I don't want to go larger than 50cc

Daryll

Jsp 12-29-2013 08:04 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Hey Daryll,

No Its a newer scheme. It is on the Aeroworks site, just go look at the 50cc edge, and scroll to the bottom and its there. BUT they don't have any this colour in stock. I was lucky that AMR had one ready to go!

Anyways, I had more time this past weekend to make some more headway. I got the firewall Painted and sealed. I used some Black CIL latex paint from Home Depot. Drilled the firewall then got the engine mounted. I picked up some nice and simple MPI switches, a 3200Mah 6.6 LiFe pack. The LiFe pack has 2 output leads on it and will allow me to run each lead into its own switch, then its own separate wire into the receiver. This way I have good redundancy and not have to run a batt share or anything like that. And actually this one battery weighs less then 2 smaller 1800mah packs. (I like being able to get a good day of flying out in between charges) hence the fairly large battery. I have the same one in my 50cc Checkmate and it works great. For Ignition I'm running a 2100Mah LiFe 6.6 pack. Even though My DA ignition states maximum of 6 volts. I've been told the 6.6 packs are fine and don't need a regulator.

Mounting the throttle servo was a snap. I mounted it fairly far forward, This allowed me to make the throttle linkage nice and short. I'm running a Hitec HS-5625mg servo for throttle. Kind of overkill for throttle but It will do the job just great. nice and quick. As you can see from the pics. I used an old aluminum servo arm to be a holder for the wire for the choke as I am using a manual choke on this bird. Simple Simple.

I got Most of the wiring made up last night. I made all my own leads using the silicone twisted wire from tbolt. I'm just waiting on my canister to get here so I can route the wires in their permanent places.

I'm basically at a stall now until I receive my canister for it. I cant finalize the wire placement until its installed. and I cant install the batteries as I don't know where they're going to end up. C of G will dictate that.

here's some pics of the recent progress.

Jsp 12-29-2013 08:08 PM

8 Attachment(s)
more pics.

and I've also added a Pic of where the wires will pass through the firewall.. I'm using a rubber grommet to prevent any wires rubbing and creating problems down the road.

FD av8r 12-29-2013 08:59 PM

Sweet, thanks for the info. Another possible option for my Xmas cash!!!

Daryll