RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Heli Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Kyosho 30 SR-T from England (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=435225)

kip51035 06-23-2016 09:40 AM

Kyosho 30 SR-T from England

I usually poke around Ebay once a day to see if there are any bargains there. I came across this Kyosho 30 heli at a really cheap price. To tell the truth I never noticed that the price was still in english money. The closing price was what I thought was $69.00. Converted it turned into $113.17, still an ok price. I told him to ship it parcel post, not UPS. He shipped it by another courier and the cost was $100.00 plus a $28.00 deliver charge in Canada. I did notice it was on 35MHZ. I thought I would just substitute one of my receivers and I will be away. It did not work out that way, all the plugs are Airtronics plugs with the positive lead on the outside. I had one Airtronics style plug, so I put it on a battery pack and fired it up. The gyro was noisy and took a long time to wind up. I picked up the airframe and spun it back and forth to see if the gyro was working. I got no reaction at all. Do I need a transmitter connection to make the gyro work? I do not have any Airtronics stuff and frankly I do not like them. Now I have to make a decision Buy a hand full of conversion cords or replace everything. I have enough stuff on hand to do the job. I am contemplating between two transmitters. One is a Futaba T6XA computer transmitter it has a heli section which include, hover pitch, idle up and it will marry the throttle and the tail rotor pitch. The other is a Hitec Laser 6. I was going to put the throttle on the flap knob and the pitch on the throttle leaver. I am thinking simple is better! I read through the setup on the Futaba and frankly it gave me a headache! If anyone has an Airtronics transmitter and receiver I would be willing to trade him something for it. What do you guys think?

Max 06-24-2016 09:52 AM

Re: Kyosho 30 SR-T from England

SR was a great heli in its day. Really smooth.

Best advice is get rid of the crappy mechanical gyro and replace it with a proper piezio gyro. Mechanical gyro will suck all the juice out of your battery in no time. In those days, 1 or 2 flights and then onto the field charger or else!!! Even an HK gyro will give you better heading hold and only use a fraction of your battery to operate.

Getting spares for the Concept is really difficult these days. So don't crash it.

tporter416 06-24-2016 12:26 PM

I have a bunch of Kyosho Nexus 30 parts for sale here, I used the T6XH years ago with it and was happy. I left the hobby for a number of years, when I came back I replaced the radio with a 2.4GHz Spektrum and was happy to do so. I used the AR8000 receiver that came with my DX7S. I also replaced my old piezo gyro with a Futaba 401 Gyro and really appreciated the heading hold...

Tom

kip51035 06-24-2016 05:59 PM

The gyro is a "SANWA SG-5. I tried to Google it and got nothing. I played with the gain today and left it running for quite a while. I tried pivoting it from left to right and got no reaction at all. I sent tom a couple of PM's

Cliff

Kip0416 06-27-2016 12:50 PM

Well I bit the bullet yesterday and removed all the electronics and servos from it. I got a couple of these "Hobby Mate 3 axis controllers" and I think I will install one of them. Now I have to decide weather to install a complicated computer radio with a dedicated Heli section or go KISS (keep it simple stupid). I am a rookie heli pilot.

tporter416 06-28-2016 12:18 PM

The hobby mate 3 axis controllers are plane only, are they not? The Kyosho 30 SR-T has a flybar so you cannot use a 3 axis controller on it anyways, unless you can set it up to only control the tail, the main cyclic cannot be double controlled using a 3 axis controller and a flybar, it will go crazy...

I doubt the Kyosho ever had a flybarless head option for it, best to get a proper heli tail gyro for it, preferably one with heading hold...

Tom

Keyrigger 06-28-2016 12:40 PM

This might help. You don't need to connect the aileron and elevator servos to the gyro. You can attach the tail servo only so that it becomes a simple adjustable (in the transmitter) heading hold/rate mode gyro. As noted above, do not hook up the aileron or elevator as it will be impossible to control. There were very few stabilization systems that were done up for flybar helicopters but they did exist. None are in production now. Take care.

Don

Kip0416 06-28-2016 06:21 PM

Thanks for that guys! When I googled it there was a video of a guy with one in a heli about this size. I never noticed if it had a flybar. We are back to simple is better. I put some servos in it yesterday and when I went to hook up the throttle it was gummed up solid. In order to get the throttle off I had to remove the air duct and to get the air duct off I had to remove the side. I got the throttle freed and back on. installed the side. All the holes are full and I have some screws left over. When I took it apart I put all the screws in the same tray. I will go over it tomorrow.

Kip

Kip0416 07-10-2016 09:34 AM

I replaced all the electronics including all the servos. For a relative beginner to heli, how much movement on the swash plate should I have? Due to the length of the servo arms the lateral or aileron movement is quite mild but the pitch movement seem enormous even in low rate. I was thinking that ten or fifteen degrees would be enough for normal non-aerobatic flight. I have a blade angle checker on the way, it will probably get stuck in the mail strike. Can someone give me some ball park figures to start with?

Kip

tporter416 07-10-2016 07:31 PM

Collective should be +/- 10 degrees max, your aileron and elevator max angle 10 degrees is a good place to start. Make sure you have 30% expo on your aileron and elevator at least. I usually go with no expo on the rudder but it's your call.

Thanks,

Tom