RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Fixed Wing (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Another Rebuild Completed and Flown! (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=46520)

Dave Holmes 03-29-2005 09:59 PM

Another Rebuild Completed and Flown!

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got my trusty old LT-40 resurrected again, and it flew just like I remembered it. This poor thing did a "Figure Nine" last July 1st, and after a suitable and lengthy period of mourning, I started seeing what pieces were big enough to use, and what would have to be replaced.

Last night I finally got a replacement engine installed (the one that buried itself past the backplate is hauling my GP PT-40 around) and all the linkages in. I took it out to the field today hoping to get the engine running. (Unknown quantity, an Ebay purchase, used) and it fired right up and ran like a top from the get-go!

That being done, nothing would do but I had to see if the bird could fly, and it behaved like a homesick angel. Just like old times. While I was tooting around the sky, a great big blue heron flew past, looking all purposeful and intent on going some where, so I grabbed altitude and a vector so as not to interfere with his intentions.

After landing the last time, we noticed a small herd of deer off to the NW of us, between the field and Mayfield Road.

What a fabulous evening! First time flying this season without gloves. A perfect end to the day.

Jollidude 03-30-2005 02:06 AM

Way to go Dave! That's what this hobby is all about. One good day out flying makes it all worthwhile.

Cheers!

Jollidude

Heli_Gal 03-30-2005 02:13 AM

Looking very good Dave. :) I can't tell the differnt :P Glad you'd a successful flight. Is this Deer hunting season now?. Mmm.. Haven't had deer meat for ages :?

Flyin High 03-30-2005 08:07 AM

:TU: Glad to see she's back up Dave! It looks great! I would have been there last night but I had to work.

Dave Holmes 03-30-2005 08:24 AM

Yes, Bobby, it would have been great if you could have been there, after all it was the bird you got your first taste of RC flying on. Now it's back to work on your Kadet Senior. Added some more gusseting to areas I think are weak, and am working out how to modify it to a bolt on wing instead of rubber bands.

The major task is going to be designing and building the engine nacelles to go on the wings. Once that is out of the way it all should be fairly straight forward. I'll keep you posted.

nosedive 03-30-2005 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
Now it's back to work on your Kadet Senior. Added some more gusseting to areas I think are weak, and am working out how to modify it to a bolt on wing instead of rubber bands.

The major task is going to be designing and building the engine nacelles to go on the wings. Once that is out of the way it all should be fairly straight forward. I'll keep you posted.

A Kadet Senior twin engine? Sounds interesting!! Keep us informed of your progress, maybe post a few pictures too. What engines are you planning to use?
You just gave me an idea for my old Kadet Sr.......... :shock:

Dave Holmes 03-30-2005 09:23 AM

I've acquired a pair of old O.S .40 engines, the ones with the strap on mufflers, and plan on using them. The plane is the kit version, sans ailerons. I will add ailerons, perhaps flaps as well, and am converting it to taildragger configuration. With the gear moved forward the belly will be clear to add a bomb bay (no decision on that yet) and if the battery and receiver don't have to go in the nose to balance, I may be able to squeeze a camera in there where the engine used to be. (Or maybe stick a third engine in there? Hmmmmm...)

Anyway, at the rate I build/rebuild it will be fortunate to see open air by the end of the summer.

I'll set up a thread on it when I have something significant to show. I am taking pictures, so I will be able to show the steps. you can see a shot of the starting point if you go to my web site http://reunion.dhs.org/rc and look under "Projects" .

Thanks for your interest.

Flyin High 03-30-2005 03:01 PM

It will be cool to see that bird fly I again! I just didn't have time to rebuild her.

Flyin High 03-30-2005 03:08 PM

http://reunion.dhs.org/rc/projects/flyin-hi_senior3.jpg

*sniff sniff* :cry:

rcflyr 04-04-2005 08:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I wish I documented this more but here are a few pics of my 1/4 Scale Lanier Extra 300, A pic of when I bought it when I brought it home in a box and its re-birth.

I'm almost ready to paint the cowl just waiting for my servos to arrive and she will fly again.

Isn't this hobby great :P :P