RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Combat (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Combat Airframe Plans (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=84207)

benjhind 02-08-2009 02:03 PM

Combat Airframe Plans

Hello all,

I hear a lot of talk in the combat community of wanting to get more people involved in the sport. I think one of the biggest barriers with getting into combat is that not a lot of people know how to work with coroplast, and that there are no readily-available plans for combat planes.

I do know that part of the sport is tweaking your designs to get the best possible flying aircraft, so people may be reluctant to give up their ideas. However, if you've got any plans sitting around that you are willing to make publicly available, I would be willing to put the work into making them digitally available along with some build instructions.

So, if you've got any paper or digital templates lying around and don't mind sharing a copy, I'd be happy to publish them here on RCC along with some build pics. Maybe you don't have to give up your best secrets, just enough to get some of us new guys going.

Failing this, I've got some balsa plans that I hope to swap over to coro, I'll publish the plans if I get anything to fly ;)

Cheers,
Ben

Bent 02-08-2009 04:58 PM

Re: Combat Airframe Plans

4 Attachment(s)
Ben
I put together a bunch of templates and build instructions for my 40" span Corsair years ago but a proper plan was never drawn up. Just as well, they're more complicated than they need to be and there have been changes over the years. I'll lend you everything I have including a scrap (midaired) model if you want to take the design to the next level. PM me if your interested.

benjhind 02-08-2009 05:13 PM

Thanks Gary, PM Sent!

I honestly think there would be more people into combat if it were easier to get started. Imagine: "there is this great RC sport, but you have to learn how to build with a new material, and then start from scratch on an airframe just to get into it!"

Cheers,
Ben

truman 02-08-2009 05:44 PM

I had a hard time building my first plane but Dan, Garry and Johny H helped me out and I would be more then happy to pass it forward to anyone in my area wanting to build combat planes so far I have only built the albatross and I am just starting a Johny G spitfire but I think I have the basics down. For the guys in the London area Jeff and all the guys from Cobble hills club are also top notch guys that would be willing to help out. If anyone else has some experience with building and would like to share there skills and knowlege maby post in this thread because I think some people might not know who is available to lend a hand in their area.

johnnyg 02-08-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjhind (Post 582589)
I hear a lot of talk in the combat community of wanting to get more people involved in the sport. I think one of the biggest barriers with getting into combat is that not a lot of people know how to work with coroplast, and that there are no readily-available plans for combat planes.

I do know that part of the sport is tweaking your designs to get the best possible flying aircraft, so people may be reluctant to give up their ideas. However, if you've got any plans sitting around that you are willing to make publicly available, I would be willing to put the work into making them digitally available along with some build instructions.

Hey Ben,

As you guys know, I for one listened to this talk.
That's why I came up with a few kits, which I thought would be good for guys because it would get them started, then they could start thier own designs or what ever.
The guys at our club, just like when I started are very helpfull and can help you out.

As for "reluctant to give up their ideas", I don't know of anyone at our club that would hold back, I'll tell you everthing I know, which came from Jeff, mike, Bobby and Al.

John

benjhind 02-08-2009 08:42 PM

Hey John,

Your efforts to expand the sport are certainly commendable. I was just thinking that I like making build threads (I've put a couple up here on RCCanada), and that people who don't have the benefit of living close-by might benefit from some detailed build instructions.

As for the "reluctant to give up their ideas", I might have been mistaken. I just thought that since people put a lot of effort into tweaking their designs, some might not want their ideas published on the internet for all to see, and I wouldn't blame them.

I guess I thought that if someone had plans from an old design that could help people get started, I would be happy to help get them on the internet so they are available to everyone.

Cheers,
Ben

canadianf1pilot 02-08-2009 09:13 PM

we have a lot of fun with combat, and the simplest designs. we use a coro tube (we wrap the coro around a bit of down spout, then pull out the down spoty, slap a tail on the back, and a wing of 4mm on the bottom and a 2mm top with a yard stick for a spar, find an old .34 to .45 motor, and go.
They look crappy, but we have a ball, and you can slap 2 or 3 together in a evening over beers with the boys.

Bill

draftman1 02-09-2009 07:43 AM

dont forget the Spad to the bone site. the corostang, corospit and dogfigter are excelent planes for combat. I am also working on new designs. I did my version of the corsair and the AT-6. I just need to sit down and get them drawn up. The mig 7 plans are also very good. they are floating around on the net. Also with me, if anybody needs some help, Im willing to give it out

Buzz 02-09-2009 07:57 AM

The corospit, IMHO is as ugly as sin. Hardly scale. But Ben, if you want a good build thread, that explains all the basics you need to know for building scale coro warbirds, the corostang is a good start. It covers everything you need to know to build any WW2 plane. Its not the most scale looking bird, but flies nice. I was flying one that Gary built at London last time out.

draftman1 02-09-2009 08:37 AM

Yes you are right about being ugly. but it looks good in the air. I have been working on some mods to make it better looking. The corostang is a great flying plane and easy to build. I have built about 30 of them and we use them for combat alot. I get new guys on them and they love it. Since I figured out the round to tapered fuse, I have a whole bunch of different planes I want to develop. Here in the states, coro has dropped off and everybody went to foam.I just cant do that, I bleed coro