RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Electric Jets (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   EC5 connectors (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=451921)

Dutkoski 09-08-2016 05:50 PM

EC5 connectors

Hey guys, you may have noticed, Hobby King has reverted back to the old style of 5 mm EC5 male connectors. I never liked them as they would loose their tension and the current transfer would degrade. After checking other sites, they too seem to be offering these, and the sites offering the "good" ones seem to have jacked the prices.

Anyway, after much searching, located the RCMart in Hong Kong. They offer the good ones fot $1.19 USD for a set which is close to Hobby King's price. So, I ordered 65 sets, just incase they too change over.

Here is their link if you want or need the good ones, http://www.rcmart.hk/index.php

Max 09-08-2016 07:40 PM

Re: EC5 connectors

Yeah, I hate those split type connectors as well.

But 65 sets???!!! :yikes:

Dutkoski 09-08-2016 09:30 PM

25 are for my friend and the rest is for me. I seem to go through them. Show last me a year or so.

Dangaras 09-08-2016 10:04 PM

What?? These are my favorite connectors. The entire EC series. Beats all the other types have down!!!

I haven't bought any from HK in quite a while. What's this about the spring tension???

I've never seen that happen, ever.

Max, John is like that. He finds a thing he likes and he tries to buy ALL. Ha ha..

P.S.

I checked the HK ones and I see what you mean. They are not designed for the repeated insertion and removal... That's unfortunate.

pogo 09-10-2016 04:36 PM

I've had 6 or 8S batteries have one cell go bad :frown:so tend to use 3 or 4S batteries in series in my jets. That said, the harness required to do this with EC5's is often too bulky for the (cramped) battery compartments and so use bullet connectors -no harness required.
Andre, what're you doing here? You "hate jets".:):)
Tom

Dutkoski 09-10-2016 09:06 PM

Hey Tom, solved that problem, when cramped for space, I split the plastic housing so they are like bullet connectors. I don't attach the gold connectirs to the wires like most guys. The positive has the female end and the negative has the male end. I match my harnesses to accomadate this setup. It works great.

Dangaras 09-12-2016 10:32 PM

No, I don't hate jets. I just hate the cost of owning a jet...

airbourne 09-15-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangaras (Post 3008865)
No, I don't hate jets. I just hate the cost of owning a jet...

Shouldn't be much higher than any other comparable model? Provided you don't crash :p

Dangaras 09-17-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbourne (Post 3011002)
Shouldn't be much higher than any other comparable model? Provided you don't crash :p

Ha. Ask John

Dutkoski 09-18-2016 08:59 AM

Well, my jets I have are pretty much the same expense as their prop brothers in the same size. Retracts cost the same if your prop plane is a trike, battery costs the same, the other electronics are the same, etc. Even the motors cost about the same depending on your prefered manufacturer and the level of performance you hope to gain.

In the good old days, jets were a lot more expensive, the ducted fan unit and high performance two stroke motor made many guys shiver when the cost was heard. Plus, for some reason, fiberglass moulded like a jet seem to cost more than a model using the same amount of material, cost less when moulded like a P-51. That I could never figure out.

But now, most commonly used models are foam, so the cost of an airframe is in a lot of cases is the same or close to it. You can scrounge up a new Habu airframe between $80.00 to $140.00.

So to say the new EDF jets cost more across the board than a prop warbird is a myth really. My large Hoaye 90 mm / twin 70 mm Edf F-18 cost me $80.00 USD for the airframe and that's pretty inexpensive. My little He-162 cost around $70.00 USD and it was fully loaded with servos, ESC motor and EDF unit installed. unfortunately, it's a crappy flyer. Plus, if you are still a builder and can design your own, amd I am, my jets are inexpensive to build.