RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Warbirds (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Yellow Aircraft P-47 build (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=217682)

Trumpetman 03-21-2014 06:45 PM

Yellow Aircraft P-47 build

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm doing my first full build of a plane that will not belong to me when it is done! (much to my wife's relief! :biggrin:)

I was contacted by a pilot here in Southern Alberta who has had a complete Yellow Aircraft P-47 kit sitting arond for a few years and wanted to get it done! I've decided to take on the job and if there is any interest I will post the build progress as I go. First impressions are WOW :sFun_drool2:

This is a very nice kit! The wings and horizontal stabs are balsa sheeted foam and everything else is prefabricated fiberglass. The fiberglass is top notch and this thing should go together pretty easily. The goal for this plane is a nice club level scale finish, nothing too crazy and a stock build will do quite nicely. I have a few ideas to take it up a notch or two having already built and flown a TF P-47 in a slightly larger scale. The plan right now is to take this plane up to the primer (and panel line) stage for the owner to do final paint. He has dropped off a nice NIB Zenoah G-62 along with a bag of higher end Hitec digital servos and various other bits and pieces.

I'll get started on this plane as soon as I have finished up a couple of final items on my main IMAC plane (install DA200L, refinish the canopy hatch and rebalance with a lighter set of batteries). With any luck I should be into this build by the end of next week and then the progress should be slow but steady. Once the flying season gets going my main focus will be IMAC practice and contests but I can usually get 10 or more hours per week in the shop :)

Some specs:

80" wingspan (around 1/6th scale)
weight is 19-26 pounds

cf100 03-21-2014 08:37 PM

Re: Yellow Aircraft P-47 build

Look like an awesome project!

Sharpy01 03-22-2014 08:00 AM

looking forward to it.

Carlisler 03-22-2014 09:08 AM

Love your builds Gordon!

I'm in!!! :icon_peace:

Trumpetman 03-22-2014 11:00 AM

Thanks for the interest guys! I'm really looking forward to this build since I have a Yellow Aircraft Zero sitting in my shop closet! Same format of balsa sheeted wing and stab with everything else prefab in fiberglass. I'll be picking up some adhesives today from a buddy who works at a mid size commercial flight operation. This stuff has just passed the expiry date for use on commercial aircraft (they have to throw it out!) but it is more than sufficient for our models! Think of it - free Hysol!:icon_peace:

mwavesdave 03-22-2014 11:25 AM

Certainly check all the ply bulkheads in the fuse! I've had all the ones on the Spitfire either fall out, or require very little effort to pop, so re-doing all with epoxy.

Hughes500E 03-22-2014 11:30 AM

Great timing, my Yellow P47 just arrived too. The G62 is on route. Glad you're doing a build thread. Now tell me it's the bubble canopy and I'll be really excited?

Trumpetman 03-22-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwavesdave (Post 1499474)
Certainly check all the ply bulkheads in the fuse! I've had all the ones on the Spitfire either fall out, or require very little effort to pop, so re-doing all with epoxy.

Thanks for the heads up Dave. I've already noticed that one of the formers was ready to fall out LOL. Guess I'll be using that timed out glue pretty soon! BTW this is why I'm posting this thread - very interested in hearing from guys who have built Yellow Aircraft before!

mwavesdave 03-22-2014 02:53 PM

I've heard it's an issue with them. Fuse is Polyester Resin, that's why it's green. Great for a glass fuse, but not so great as an adhesive. I popped them all out, sanded off the old resin, and roughed up the inside of the fuse. Then used marine epoxy resin to refasten. All good now! Other thing I have to do is drill a lot of lightening holes in the rudder and elevators, the core ply is stupid thick for the surface size.

Trumpetman 03-22-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hughes500E (Post 1499506)
Great timing, my Yellow P47 just arrived too. The G62 is on route. Glad you're doing a build thread. Now tell me it's the bubble canopy and I'll be really excited?

Yup, it's the bubble top :)