RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Canopy tinting (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=35262)

Marty C 06-25-2003 08:57 PM

Canopy tinting

I have not had much luck tinting my F16 canopy using yellow RIT dye in fairly hot water with large dash of salt added...
Problem is even after 2 sessions of 4-5 hours each time of soaking the canopy has only very slight hint of colour?

Any advice would be welcome....

Colin 06-25-2003 09:24 PM

More die in the water maybe? I'm not an expert at this but you can try some more die.

Colin

Colin 06-25-2003 09:25 PM

More die in the water maybe? I'm no expert at this but maybe more die will work.
Colin

BrianDallas 06-25-2003 09:34 PM

Colin:

Some canopys are made of a plastic that just will not take the dye no matter the strength or time left in the mixture. In that case, you can use the transparent spray paint the r/c car guys use, sprayed inside. Few bucks for a small can.

Marty C 06-25-2003 09:47 PM

Dye

Brian- Well I have tried using the whole packet of RIT still no go? Also heated water to the point of possible plastic distorsion??
I have also heard some plastics just are damn stubborn and refuse to take the dye. Wonder why some plastics and not others work??? Also heard that adding salt to mix helps, so i have done this as well? hmmm.....
Maybe has something to do with dye colour being a light yellow????

Are there any other dyes that might be stronger than RIT dye I wonder?????

Colin- Re, canopy sprays, I do not like using these as its hard to get a uniform coverage and can end up spattering causing a mess or runs...

BrianDallas 06-25-2003 10:07 PM

Marty - I've had quite a few canopies in my many years of building which simply would not take any dye no matter what. Don't know what the magic answer is, but the brand of dye didn't seem to matter.

Derrick 06-25-2003 10:11 PM

Maybe you need to use a different colour of tint?

I would try a brown dye to get a yellowish tint on a canopy...... :?:

I know that you have to mix a bit of royal/navy blue dye with the black dye to get a nice smoked look, otherwise black rit dye alone will leave the canopy looking brownish....

Nuker 06-26-2003 06:16 AM

I tried the same thing with yellow; same results. :( Brown is probably the best route to try next. I'll be giving it a go this weekend

Bob

Marty C 06-26-2003 10:43 AM

tinting

This has got me really curious now! What makes certain canopy plastics take well to tinting and other not???? I think I will be just staying with the clear canopy for the F16 :x

Heres a pic of the effect I was looking for! of a F16 seen at Trenton airshow last weekend.....