RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   13 Scale Harvard with a Moke 250 Part 3 (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=404450)

BAMDFISHER 02-01-2016 10:51 AM

13 Scale Harvard with a Moke 250 Part 3

2 Attachment(s)
Okay here goes!

Harvard Part 3

If you want to go back to the old posts here are the two links.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...hlight=Harvard

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...hlight=Harvard

It's hard to believe this started way back in October 27, 2012.

This is the paint scheme that I used.

I'm using the brown Hatter's Castle scheme. I wanted something different but I like the yellow on the bottom to make it easier to see while flying and allowing me to know what side (up or down) I'm looking at.

BAMDFISHER 02-01-2016 10:57 AM

Re: 13 Scale Harvard with a Moke 250 Part 3

2 Attachment(s)
ELECTRICAL WIRING

Today I got back into finishing the wiring for this plane.

I had forgotten what I had done a year ago causing me to go back and retrace some of the leads. I always colour code the leads from each servo or item with a small plastic wire tie. This helps me make sure I get the right servo plugged into the proper spot on the receiver.

Here is a list of the channels that I needed for this plane.

#1 Throttle #2 Right Aerilon #3 Right Elevator #4 Rudder #5 Left Flap #6 Left Aerilon #7 Right Flap #8 Middle Flap #9 Gyro Rate Input

#10 Main Gear Retracts #11 Tail Wheel Control (mixed to the Rudder) #12 Ignition Kill #13 Smoke Control #14 Choke #15 Lights

These are not receiver channels but inputs to the Main Receiver.

#16 The SRXL connection from X+8 Receiver to the Main Receiver #17 The main Power Soft Switch #18 Telemetry input (and Bind)

From the Electric Gear Control there are two outputs one for the right and one for the left side.

I am using a Power Safe Receiver so there are two battery inputs and one battery for the ignition.

JohnA 02-01-2016 11:03 AM

Brian, your links do not seem to work.

BAMDFISHER 02-01-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnA (Post 2743330)
Brian, your links do not seem to work.

I re entered the links they should work now.

BAMDFISHER 02-01-2016 01:35 PM

8 Attachment(s)
SIDE EXHAUST SYSTEM

The Harvard had a side exhaust system that allowed a separate pipe to carry heat into the cockpit to keep the pilot(s) warm in the Canadian winter.

I made mine from electrical PVC pipe that I "manipulated" with some heat and force to get the right curve. I also used stainless steel washing machine line (burnt out the rubber lining for weight reduction) to simulate the heating line going into the cockpit. As this is a "semi-scale" plane the size of the piping is slightly too small but I think the "look" is still there.

I've added 2 pictures of real planes so you can see the effect that I was after. It took over a week last winter to build this exhaust system.

In the future I plan to replace the fake exhaust with real stainless steel tubing and have the Moki exhaust come out of it. But that's for next year or I'll never get this plane done.

BAMDFISHER 02-01-2016 02:28 PM

12 Attachment(s)
COCKPIT DETAILS

Here are some pictures of the cockpit, pilot and front and rear instrument panels.

Painting the cross bars on the clear canopy was extremely time consuming. To mask it out I used "FASMASK" a liquid masking tape. I took 3 coats to completely seal the clear plastic before it was ready for painting.

My wife made the yellow Mae West vest for the pilot. The original was made from plastic and looked quite cheap.

Trumpetman 02-01-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAMDFISHER (Post 2743322)
ELECTRICAL WIRING

Today I got back into finishing the wiring for this plane.

I had forgotten what I had done a year ago causing me to go back and retrace some of the leads. I always colour code the leads from each servo or item with a small plastic wire tie. This helps me make sure I get the right servo plugged into the proper spot on the receiver.

Here is a list of the channels that I needed for this plane.

#1 Throttle #2 Right Aerilon #3 Right Elevator #4 Rudder #5 Left Flap #6 Left Aerilon #7 Right Flap #8 Middle Flap #9 Gyro Rate Input

#10 Main Gear Retracts #11 Tail Wheel Control (mixed to the Rudder) #12 Ignition Kill #13 Smoke Control #14 Choke #15 Lights

These are not receiver channels but inputs to the Main Receiver.

#16 The SRXL connection from X+8 Receiver to the Main Receiver #17 The main Power Soft Switch #18 Telemetry input (and Bind)

From the Electric Gear Control there are two outputs one for the right and one for the left side.

I am using a Power Safe Receiver so there are two battery inputs and one battery for the ignition.

That has to be one of the most organized wiring layouts I've ever seen! Very nice!

BAMDFISHER 02-02-2016 08:34 AM

10 Attachment(s)
CENTER WING

This section is 35 inches wide by 26 inches deep.

The wheels are "Electric Driven" so there is no worry about air leaks etc. The landing gear (made in Germany for this kit) was modified to electric by Down and Locked.

It has a full center span Landing Brake/Flap that I have mixed to when the outer wing landing flaps are deployed.

Riptide44 02-02-2016 12:03 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Nice job ,,been following the build awsome.I am just about finished my Harvard as well, I love the big birds also,I started on my project last year,it was from a set of drawn up plans,the wing span is 148 inches and i have mounted a moki 250 cc in it ,,,I fly the same engine in my 1/3 Stearman and it has ample power to do every thing you want,, I have yet to finish making moulds for the 46 inch canopy , but hope to have it complete for the spring,the rest of the plane is finished and was modeled after a plane that is from I believe Burlington were they have a Harvard owners group there,,,the original started its life in Alberta,, then went to Moosejaw,, and now resides in Ontario....good luck gents,,, when finished i will put on a few more pictures......

BAMDFISHER 02-02-2016 04:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)
OUTER WING

The outer wings are about 48" long by 26 inches wide at the root. Both wings are very similar but on the opposite wing, on the underside, the numbers face in the opposite direction.

Attached is picture of my chief helper!