RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Heli Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Wind Speed Acceptable For Flying (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=87267)

helihead 04-19-2009 01:15 PM

Wind Speed Acceptable For Flying

Any opinions of an acceptable wind speed for learning to hover? Todays wind speed where I live is 20 km which is enough to keep me grounded today.15 km
seems to be a good day around here which I do fly but I fight for control when a gust comes up.

cassat 04-19-2009 02:15 PM

Re: Wind Speed Acceptable For Flying

What size heli?? need more info

helihead 04-19-2009 02:27 PM

blade 400 with training gear.Throttle curve is 75% from 2-5 for stability.

cassat 04-19-2009 02:38 PM

Can't you go to a quiet schoolyard where the building blocks the wind a bit?

Is this stock from factory? radio equip or did you upgrade?

helihead 04-19-2009 02:55 PM

That is actually where I,m flying, the schoolyard using the buildings as a wind buffer. I live in Bradford, Ont we seem to have alot of wind lately maybe its just the time of the year.Heli is stock except the blades are Align pro 325 &
landing gear is spyder x. (metal spring loaded shock absorbing for newbies that havent learned to land smooth). This also adds a bit of weight.Upgraded servos & gyro & esc are on the way.Its the gusts that get me. Today the gusts are up 31km. For a heli this size do you know an acceptable windspeed for controlled hovering or foreward flight? Anything mor than 15km makes me nervous however I want to fly! I am sure for someone with more experience this is not a problem.

voyager_663rd 04-19-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassat (Post 602859)
Can't you go to a quiet schoolyard where the building blocks the wind a bit?

Is this stock from factory? radio equip or did you upgrade?

Isn't this what another thread is about NOT doing (flying without insurance because it's not at a sanctioned (authorized??) field?

Maybe I misunderstood. Go ahead, slap my wrist.

cassat 04-19-2009 03:21 PM

What took you so long voyager? Are you flying at all this year?....or just watching tv?

Yeah best to wait for the gusts to dy down

Tmaxx4ever 04-19-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyager_663rd (Post 602868)
Isn't this what another thread is about NOT doing (flying without insurance because it's not at a sanctioned (authorized??) field?

Maybe I misunderstood. Go ahead, slap my wrist.

here we go......another "you'll ruin the hobby for everybody if you so much as look at a R/C model without being at a MAAC sanctioned field" type thread.

tech1 04-19-2009 08:25 PM

It is not up to us. You can only fly if you feel comfortable. That is different for every pilot and heli.

When I had a blade, I wouldn't take it out in any wind. The tail was way too loose for my taste. But my Trex and 680mm electric will go out in just about any wind.

cassat 04-19-2009 08:31 PM

Just wondering why the tail may be loose? Because of gyro? or tail mechanics?
Going to build one shortly, but may use TRex tail
Got two flights this evening on TRex windspeed about 12-14kph