RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Anybody use this? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=71057)

rc999 12-17-2007 07:29 PM

Anybody use this?

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?
http://switchglow.com/ seems like a great idea.

Little T 12-17-2007 08:10 PM

My friend park is using one on his Trex 600n. It works great, he said it makes starting up that much quiker and easier. He is using one from duralite or someone other than that company and spent over $100 smackers for it :? :? ....I just dont think its worth the money for that much.

Vulcan1 12-17-2007 10:08 PM

We used to make them ourselves without hooking into the flight pack. One microswitch and a C cell did basically the same except with mine it was on at idle. Not any adjustment in flight but could be made to with the new computor radios. Install an electronic switch on your receiver and program it with a mix to switch on when needed. No extra drain on the flight pack either and if the C cell goes flat it is not a problem.
John
Merry Christmas

Colin 12-17-2007 11:30 PM

I have one in a Raptor 90 and it works great! Simple and light weight. Because the model is in a fuselage it’s hard to easily get an igniter to the plug, and I didn’t want to use a remote glow. It makes starting that much easier.

Colin

Gary Maker 12-18-2007 03:03 AM

Sounds like a great idea.

I like the fact that the total weight is less than an ounce (25grams), it would never run out of power, takes up hardly any room, and you can switch it on and off at any time at any throttle setting. Not all these features are available with a home made unit or any of the commercial units I have previously purchased.

moo 12-18-2007 09:04 AM

what would make this "New & Revolutionary"?

There have been plans around for years, decades even.

You would probably be better off with a relay and single cell NiCd instead of using the receiver battery though.

It also draws 1.6 Amps (although they try to obfuscate the issue with"2.2mah per 5 second pull") :lol:

Colin 12-18-2007 11:44 AM

I would much rather use my rx pack than a separate battery exclusive to lighting the plug. It means I don't have to worry about charging another battery, and my model doesn't have the added weight of a Sub C battery. The fact that it's light weight, programmable, and super easy to use makes it a great on-board glow, if that's what you're looking for. I've been using it for 5 months without a problem :)

Colin

jkaz 12-20-2007 08:22 PM

the reason to go with a seperate battery is to prevent shorting out and killing your reciever batt in flight if the unit is properly protected then it shouldn't be a problem

Zor 12-20-2007 11:47 PM

SwitchGlo

Hello Gals and Guys,

I have browsed the SwitchGlo web site and read the reviews.

I became curious about the amount of power used and the circuitry. Like the current coming through the tiny receiver.

Many glow plugs tested for current use 2.5 to 4 amps from a voltage source of 1.2v or 1.5v.
I do not know if a receiver supplied with 4.8v or 6v
can drop that voltage to around 1.2v to 1.5v and supply that 2.5 to 4 amps.

If I assume that a specific glow plug draws 3.0 amps (at 1.2v) I figure the following maths _ _ _

3.0 amps for 1 hour would be 3.0 Ah (ampere-hour).
For one second it would be 3.0 / 3600 = 0.0008333 Ah
For 10 seconds it would become 0.0008333 * 10 = 0.008333 Ah
Converting to miliamp-hour becomes _ _ _
0.008333 * 1000 = 8.333 mHa

The 4.4 mAh quoted in the web site is beyond my understanding.

I have not seen any glow plug hot enough with something aroud 1.5 amps through its filament.

Anyone to go over this and comment?

It is not just a matter "well it works", planes and heli have been working without that device for years.
How do we know that it really makes a differnce?

Zor

Zor 12-21-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulcan1
No extra drain on the flight pack either and if the C cell goes flat it is not a problem.
John
Merry Christmas

quote "if the C cell goes flat it is not a problem."

So is it usefull in some way if there is no problem with a C cell gone flat?

Merry Christmas 2 U 2

Zor