RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   GMS .32 Engine Troubles (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=95064)

rcairplaneking 10-12-2009 04:00 PM

GMS .32 Engine Troubles

I have a gms .32 engine with remote needle valve. I installed it, it had a few leaks around the back plate and the muffler so I used the high temperature silicone and that seemed to work. When I am flying though, when I turn or dive or even randomly it seems like the engine shuts off and comes back on. I cannot figure out what the problem is. The tank is new and there are no leaks. Some help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dale Hunter 10-12-2009 04:10 PM

Re: GMS .32 Engine Troubles

I take it, it's fairly new (less than 1/2 jug). If so fly it a little rich, get some time on it, 10% nitro -or less- and a mixture of syn/castor. Try for as close to 20% oil as you can find locally.
Flush out your needle valve assembly. Quite often they pick up misc from a fairly new tank construction.
Be patiant with it, keep it rich(ish), and let use know how it comes along.
Enjoy -Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

rcairplaneking 10-12-2009 04:58 PM

Thanks Dale for the advice, ya this gms engine requires alot of patience because it is not plug and play like maybe say an O.S or Webra. It produces alot of power from what I can see, also I am having trouble throttle cutting the engine, and all my radio settings are right but I have seen posts about GMS engines having trouble shutting off? If anyone knows about a fix please let me know. Thanks

g-manz35 10-12-2009 05:44 PM

They are famous for leaking around the carb. If it's not shutting off it's probably got another air leak somewhere. I've put about 10 4oz tanks through mine now and it's still very tight. I think they take a good while to break in. IF you put your finger over the carb does that kill it right away?

George

Dale Hunter 10-12-2009 05:44 PM

Sounds like the famous air leak around the carb base. Pull the locking bolt out that holds the carb down in place. Reverse it so it comes in from the other direction. Push down on the carb body as you tighten down the carb. The new direction promotes the carb being sucked down instead of pushing it back up. You will see what I mean as soon as you look into it. An engine that takes care to break/run in usually will be a great engine that will last a lifetime. When I was tempted to buy one this spring Great Hobbies had none. Let us know how strong it pulls, in time.
-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

g-manz35 10-12-2009 05:46 PM

Posting same responce at the same time. Great minds think alike;)

rcairplaneking 10-12-2009 07:59 PM

ok I will try sealing up the carb and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks

rcairplaneking 10-13-2009 04:24 PM

Where is the bolt to take off the carb? is it the little black bolt? would you use an allen key to take it off?

Dale Hunter 10-14-2009 08:42 PM

The bolt that is beneith the carb line, on the crankcase side of the O-ring. Looks like a nut, not an allan keyed bolt.
Is this an older version that may have 2 set screws? I'm not aware of, but possible. Either way take care not to mess the nut up with pliers. Find some small metric wrenches. Fellow modellers with 4 strokers usually get wrenchs with their motors, ask for help.
-Dale-

89 yota 10-16-2009 04:19 PM

check your fuel lines and tank instalation to make sure the fuel is not being pulled up over any sort of hump before entering the carb. You may have to shorten the lines or reroute them accordingly. if the tank is too low you may have to relocate it as well

Cheers