RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Personal Attacks (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=33990)

DP01 03-03-2003 04:26 PM

Personal Attacks

On occasion, seeking for further amusement, I visit the MBZ site. Now I don�t have that site bookmarked � I get there through Google by typing in the name and clicking on � (ugh, I can hardly bring myself to say it�) �I�m Feeling Lucky�.

The MBZ site unfortunately seems to have developed into a major soap opera with the forces of good and evil switching sides and generally making themselves appear, let�s be generous, uncivilised. On further study, it appears that some of the regulars from RC Canada have declared a �Jihad�. These people who, for the most part, manage to maintain a modicum of respectability on RC Canada seem to totally �loose it� when they post at MBZ.

The latest tactic is taunting the opposition. This quite simply will not work. This is precisely the response that some of the MAAC reform types desire. It is patently obvious that their MAAC reform campaign is going nowhere. So, how do they keep the pot stirred? Simple! Rile pro MAAC posters into providing more and more exposure for the MAAC reform cause. It�s worked. The pro MAAC contingent appear to be foaming at the mouth and the MAAC reform side thereby looks better by comparison. Meanwhile, nobody looks good!

The MBZ �Flame Ex� probably wasn�t originally intended for use in this fashion, however the MAAC reform types have adapted it to good effect. Personal attacks are never in good taste and most forums forbid this form of behaviour. For good reason too. Personal attacks, including the ever popular �oops � did I say that?� quasi-accidental sort, have no place in a civilised forum.

Two things need to happen, in my opinion (which combined with $1.14, will get you a medium coffee at Horton's): 1. The MBZ �Flame EX� should be discontinued before things get seriously out of hand. 2. Forum moderators should suspend or revoke the membership of ANYONE who engages in personal attacks on ANY forum.

The acid test: If you would not want your family to read what you intend to post, then don�t post it.

Remember, it�s not necessary to respond to attacks either. One of the MAAC reform guys has amply demonstrated that it can be very effective to initiate an issue, then withdraw, watching the commotion from the sidelines. This strategy only works though, if others feel compelled to respond. By all means, respond to issues, just don�t be sucked into letting it become personal.

Dennis Pybus
MAAC 12244

Derrick 03-03-2003 04:40 PM

Well said Dennis, I agree with you 100%.

(My opinion combined with yours now puts that coffee at $1.12)

I am disappointed to hear that you admit to visiting the Manitoba site... :wink: :lol:

I myself stay away from there....although I am guilty of visiting it too
Dennis, one visit was enough for me...... :oops:

RCCanada is enough for me.....as long as it keeps going the way it is going I'll be here.....if it turns or gets unruly then I'll be gone flying!

ronnieo 03-03-2003 04:52 PM

yer right Dennis........

I've been guilty of just that and stayed away, but sometimes an issue comes up that just has to be addressed from"the civil" side as Jim has demonstrated.I just can't for the life of me understand how a Zone director can be allowed to still continue this verbal war on TWO forums when the MAAC president wants it to end(MAR. MAAC mag) But yer right.....give em an ear and they cut it off and hand it back to ya. Best to just stay away and let em argue with themselves. All 10 of them. Just gives them an excuse to come over here.

P.S. where the heck is Tim Hortons only $1.15? I pay $1.30

Kevin McGrath 03-03-2003 04:54 PM

Many RCC members are well aware of the activity on the Manitoba site,and in fact that is why many enthusiasts have joined RCC.
However we generally dont discuss their performances here and whether they use a flame site or not for example is their business.
Regarding the shadow on MAAC and the hobby/sport just take a look at the subject matter for the AGM,and the Presidents remarks in the latest MAAC Mag and draw your own conclusions.
If you review the forums below you will see several attempts at the bait and run tactic on the part of a couple of their moderators,which always draws the desired outrage on someone,s part,leads to arguing and name calling and ends in the thread being locked out.
RCC is successful because it is friendly,non politcal,and exists to serve and promote the sport,and all of us want it to stay that way IMO.........
If this thread draws action on the part of one of the agressive types from the Manitoba site,please ignore it and let Jason handle it as he sees fit...

ronnieo 03-03-2003 05:05 PM

also ......Kevin

I want to note that if the web site owner endorses this stuff on MZ.....then he is just as guilty as the thread starters. Jason does a great job here and hope to keep it that way. By the way, we have 28 more members here as of last week and that doesnt count the ones that dont go back on the other site anymore.

AJCoholic 03-03-2003 05:48 PM

200 Attachment(s)
I didnt understand the first posting by Dennis too well - maybe thats for the best. Pro and against MAAC? I didnt know there was this big an issue, never having visited the Manitoba site myself and I never will.

As you most know me by now I like to promote this hobby and will not try and fight a losing battle.

Its too bad that some of the "modelers" in Canada seem to enjoy raising s$%t instead of making balsa dust and burning fuel. They can have it, I will try me best to have enough fun to make up for it!

DP01 03-03-2003 06:12 PM

Andrew:

This is not an anti MAAC issue Some have different viewpoints as to what MAAC should become. One example being that MAAC should not support FAI world competitions. It really appears to be a MAAC reform issue which is the term I used

Where I stated pro MAAC I should really have stated pro MAAC per the status quo. (Bit of a mouthfull).

Dennis

Ken Baker 03-03-2003 06:12 PM

It seems that many people are in bad humor these days. Rec.model rcair has turned into a real battle ground. Everything from "Boy Scouts of America Suck" to a war between the US and France. 90% of the posts are non model related.

Maybe it is the fear and anxiety of the international goings on. The first step to improving your daily outlook is TURN OFF the news.

Ken Baker

Derrick 03-03-2003 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Baker
The first step to improving your daily outlook is TURN OFF the news.

Ken Baker

The second step would be to head to the flying field or come to RCCanada during non-flying hours! :wink:

Nuker 03-03-2003 07:56 PM

Man,

I posted something similar to this late last year. I agree with Dennis 101% (which now leaves us at $1.10 for a Horton's)

I've read the other site from time to time but never joined; didn't see a need as the information and friendliness I want are over here. Not condemning, just my personal opinion.

I was amazed to read members who here, speak out to stop the nonense, but who head over there for a verbal/written battle. This in turn sends the fur flying on all sides as they egg each other on. Double standards aren't the way to go, IMO. Gotta admit it's quite dissappointing; especially the couple of folks that I either know and/or "post with" here and then I read stuff over at MBZ from the same. :( Of course that is their choice; again with a personal opinion.

I'll never understand the petty politics but I'll leave that to "greater" philosophers :? I read about the prez at the other place but then I know I've met the president on several occasions. He seems to always remember who I am, and is always ready to talk about planes (though I think he is still laughing at my Pete N Poke :wink: ) and he is always smiling; a true gentleman. He can shake your hand, smile, look you in the eye, and talk about 4 strokes and CA fumes. That's the hobby for me and if I were to judge, that's what I would judge on; period. It's a hobby and he is a fellow hobbiest (who unfortunately, doesn't like Pete N Poke's :) ).

OK, rant off for now; hopefully calmer minds will prevail and members across Canada will decide what is right for themselves; regardless of the outcome, I'll stay here for the non political rapport and, of course, the :donut:

Bob