RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   MAAC (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   MAAC Noise Testing Standard (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=266202)

Eye Can Fly 08-21-2014 12:12 PM

MAAC Noise Testing Standard

There is no doubt, noise has cost MAAC and its members flying fields in the past. There probably isn't a club that doesn't have to be careful to keep their neighbors happy.

While MAAC has recommendations for everything from field standards to new pilots training, noise testing, especially a standard way of testing, hasn't been addressed.

Noise is a issue that is unique to each club. Tolerance levels have to be left to each clubs discretion. I get it! Here is where MAAC has to step in and develop a Standard. Both the AMA and FAI (F3A) have Standard ways of testing for noise. Even with a Standard testing method the clubs still have the autonomy to limit the maximum decibel level at their field.

Entrenched in the MAAC Constitution is the ideology of promoting competition. Times have changed since MAAC was established. While there are still MAAC sanctioned events (ie. Competitions and Fun Flys), things are different. There are probably a multitude of reasons for the past changes in attendance, a few reasons could be, cost of travel, accommodation cost at an event, time....

I would like to propose that the MAAC Noise Committee look into developing a Standard Testing Method (protocol) for noise. The reason for the request, to ensure when someone does travel to an event, they can make sure they are within the dB limits.

What should the "Method" look like? Testing is done with the plane tethered, it is static. Where do we measure the noise level? Who would run the test equipment? And finally, who pays for the test equipment costs?

Noise (or tolerance to it) is a individual and personal thing. The process of life changes how we hear things. Some hear a larger frequency range than others. Again, the tolerance level has to be left up to each individual club.

I have a few ideas of how the Standard Testing Method could be developed, I will wait to see if this issue is important to other members here before I commit to stating what I believe to be a plan.

Skybolt 08-21-2014 03:15 PM

Re: MAAC Noise Testing Standard

Your best way to make this proposal is to go at your next MAAC zone meeting and tell our zone director that you want to make a proposal.

If your proposal is accepted and voted, it will make it way to the National AGM and if the AGM accept it, they will mandate the committee in charge of this issue to work on it and come back with a solution or standard.

The zone meeting is your best way to make your request to MAAC.
And at the zone meeting you could put your name down to be member of a committee.

diablo454 08-21-2014 03:28 PM

Great answer skybolt!!
I see so many club members with good intent but when its time to dig in and get something implemented or done...... they never show up!!

OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK 08-23-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybolt (Post 1838642)
Your best way to make this proposal is to go at your next MAAC zone meeting and tell our zone director that you want to make a proposal.

If your proposal is accepted and voted, it will make it way to the National AGM and if the AGM accept it, they will mandate the committee in charge of this issue to work on it and come back with a solution or standard.

The zone meeting is your best way to make your request to MAAC.
And at the zone meeting you could put your name down to be member of a committee.

Sure but can't we kick it around here a bit for ideas? Then Brent or someone can take a well developed proposal forward.

Eye Can Fly 08-24-2014 10:46 AM

Thanks Merv, the reason for starting the thread was to get other ideas. I have a recommendation drafted. Is it perfect, no, it only contains my own personal thoughts.

I am not a expert in auditory pressure. Finding an expert is difficult, if anyone knows who I could contact please let me know. What I do know is some testing methods that individual clubs use would be almost impossible for an electric plane to pass.

In the recent past some clubs have had to go "Electric Only". Why, to preserve their site. No one is going to show up with a glow or gas plane and expect to fly. I respect what the club did, they'll probably survive at that location.

My vision for a Standard Testing Policy is to aid and assist the clubs. With a Standard from the Parent organization, it allows the clubs to say "hey buddy your plane... we're going to test it..... and BTW you probably will have trouble until...". Again, the tolerance level is in the hands of each club.

I didn't start this thread to cause trouble, as a matter of fact I live by a pretty good code IMO. "If you can, help; if you can't help, don't harm". Not everyone that flies RC planes is a club member. Some people don't live anywhere near a club. But we're still MAAC members. Why, some for the insurance, some what to be able to fly other places.

Same goes for attending AZMs and positions on Committees. Distance and vocation sometimes dictate what you can do. My livelihood won't allow me to shut everything down to drive 5 hours for a two hour meeting. Yet, some people may have a good ideas that deserves to be heard.

Frank Klenk 08-24-2014 10:57 AM

Hi Brent
Did you talk to Terry Smerdon yet? He is the chairman for the noise committee. Give him a call and see what he says. He is very helpful, easy guy to talk to.

rcav8r71 08-24-2014 12:15 PM

The biggest problem we face, is not noise, but rather, perceived noise. Our club has a noise limit of 99db, measured at 3 meters(10ft) on the grass, measured diagonally from the model. It doesn't work.
Let me give you an example. At a fun fly at our field last summer, we had a flyer with a large plane with a ZDZ80 twin gas engine, at 92db. I had a Bigstick 60 with a magnum .61 & Zinger 12x6 prop at 94db. I also had a C/L Ringmaster with an UNMUFFLED McCoy .35 Redhead & Zinger 10X4 prop at 99db. Here's the shocker, my wife's Kadet LT-25, with an OS.40 four stroke & Zinger 11X5 prop, which was obviously the quietest plane in the bunch, tested 100db, technically illegal to fly at our field.
The problem is, a sound meter measures PRESSURE, not noise. The little four stroke has higher exhaust pressure, although at a lower frequency. There is no question people find the sound of a four stroke less annoying than that of a two stroke, but that does not mean they are quieter.
What we need is a scientifically proven way to measure something people perceive, rather than measure something tangible. Good luck with that!

Eye Can Fly 08-24-2014 12:49 PM

Jon, I'm not at all surprised by your post. Each and every person that lodges a noise complaint will hear things differently.

The issue isn't just at flying fields. The City of Saskatoon now has a law in place for "Motorcycles". While the law is technically in place, there is an amnesty period where people concerned they are close to the limit can take their bike in and have it tested, with no charges. The owner then faces their choices, remediate the issue or play the odds of getting a fine.

I would like to think most RC pilots don't want to be the "one" to cause an issue for a club. I wonder if there are any MAAC clubs out there that because of location, have a higher tolerance for noise than the Urban by-law in which they are located has?

Noise, air pressure, frequency are elements of the overall issue. An issue we can do something about. It has caused clubs to fold up their tents and move.

JoeT 08-24-2014 02:24 PM

Since we're on the "Kicking around Ideas" discussion, here's something I'd like to revive. Back about 20 years ago, we implemented a graduated noise measurement based on RPM. Even back then, the high revving engines were more annoying than the lower revving high displacement motors.

We set the standard measurement at 88db @ 7 meters, measured at 1 Meter off the ground. Sound was measured from the front, side and rear.

10001 - 15000 rpm - 86db @ 7 Meters
8000 - 10000 rpm - 88db @ 7 Meters
7000 - 7999 rpm - 90 db @ 7 Meters
Lower than 7000 - 92 db @ 7 Meters

When measured at this distance and this method, we found that people started propping their airplanes much much quieter, and 4 strokes, regardless of size preserved their nice sound, yet remained quiet.

Large Gassers were able to pass with proper mufflers and proper props.

Technology has come a long way in 20 years, the ability to quiet down an engine without affecting performance exists in great supply now.

Eye Can Fly 08-24-2014 03:11 PM

Joe, did you average your meter readings from the locations?