RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   To Shoo the birds or not?? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=67316)

ronnieo 07-31-2007 03:31 PM

To Shoo the birds or not??

I've been asked by the local Green Giant plant to help them out. Someone suggested that to get rid of seagulls flying around the trailers of harvested corn, an R/C plane can be used to help scare them off and it is apparently effective, and asked if our local pilots could assist the company for a donation to the club and wants me to round up some guys.
I'm not sure of the regulations regarding MAAC or it's insurance or the registering of this as a field or whether this is effective at all across corn fields in Canada... what do you guys all think?
I was thinking of just a few park size flyers or combat 20's...

or one BIG 101" 4 gas motor Lancaster and bomb the whole field.....or having " How low can you go" Jim Brown do his famous low jet flybys and take some heads off... just kidding about that one....

Now if we can get the butter from the BECEL margarine R/C commercial and the green Giant corn, they can have buttered corn...never mind.

bbbair 07-31-2007 05:49 PM

IF you are serious about getting rid of the birds... contact the local airport and have a chat with their 'Bird Man'.

These are the fellows that maintain a flock of hawks to keep the airports free of birds. 8)

That having been said- their first action is to play a recording of a "Distressed" Seagull on a PA system - this usually encourages the birds to move away.
Second course of action is a variety of fireworks,
Lastly is the use of the hawks to hunt down the offending trespassers. :evil:

To use RC models as a means to chase away these birds could/would raise the hackles of the local SPCA and cause all sorts of poor publicity for the hobby. :oops:

Plus if you actually hit a bird the falling AC would hit what?? and your MAAC Insurance would cover...??? :(

Have the locals contact the Bird Control professionals and let us all sleep well. :wink:

Wayne22 07-31-2007 07:03 PM

unless you could keep something in the air 24/7, the gulls would return as soon as the noise died down. Any success with model airplanes would be short lived, I'm sure....

Teledog 07-31-2007 07:07 PM

There's been some studies on the use of fishing line around the perimeter of buildings.
Basically make a 1/2 or 1/4 scale "barbed wire" fence around the perimeters of rooftops (or what have you),
but use clear mono filament line instead of wire (sans barbs, of course).
The birds hit it when then try to perch on the edge & it scares them.
Non- lethal.
Works for me

There are more, uh,..lethal things like perch poisons (Fenthion/AKA:Spotton pour-on) , but most avicides are banned now.

adaptabl 07-31-2007 07:42 PM

Poison corn works well. They use it in some downtown buildings.

moo 07-31-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teledog

Yesssss.

They tried that at Toronto city hall, lots of maimed birds and publicity.

hillmanr2 07-31-2007 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moo
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teledog

Yesssss.

They tried that at Toronto city hall, lots of maimed birds and publicity.

Man the poor birds that is inhumane and cruel. :roll:

what you need to do is get a bunch of like minded folks out there with 12 gauges and ssg pellet cartriges. for the times you can't be there Load up a bunch of bread with bleach and leave it on the roof. :twisted:

DemonFrog 07-31-2007 09:00 PM

could try making a falcon shaped gasser or spad (combat style cheapo airplane) the falcon shape is better than just flying around, it's work even better if it was electric :twisted: .
I believe they were hoping to try non lethal methods on the seagulls (it's not their fault they're good at surviving :cry: )
my guess would be that they would only need the airplanes while they were harvesting corn, just fly the planes when the seagulls are around. :roll:
good luck with whatever you decide.

P.S. you don't have to fly it around the harvester, just in the general area.

This could be the beggining of a beautiful relationship :twisted:

Randy Brown 08-01-2007 05:48 AM

Re: To Shoo the birds or not??

yea there dong alot of harm FLYING AROUND the harvested corn.. LOL

and if they happen to land..all it takes is one dog

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnieo
I've been asked by the local Green Giant plant to help them out. Someone suggested that to get rid of seagulls flying around the trailers of harvested corn, an R/C plane can be used to help scare them off and it is apparently effective, and asked if our local pilots could assist the company for a donation to the club and wants me to round up some guys.
I'm not sure of the regulations regarding MAAC or it's insurance or the registering of this as a field or whether this is effective at all across corn fields in Canada... what do you guys all think?
I was thinking of just a few park size flyers or combat 20's...

or one BIG 101" 4 gas motor Lancaster and bomb the whole field.....or having " How low can you go" Jim Brown do his famous low jet flybys and take some heads off... just kidding about that one....

Now if we can get the butter from the BECEL margarine R/C commercial and the green Giant corn, they can have buttered corn...never mind.

ronnieo 08-01-2007 05:57 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.... I think Ill tell him to find more safer and conventional methods as you all suggested....

in the meantime, while the POOP plops on the harvested corn, I'll have to switch to DelMonte corn for a while.........

.......is this how they make "cream corn?" :roll:

Ron Harway
President
Sun Parlor R/C Flyers Inc