RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Jet Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Which filter for kero? Mr Funnel? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=109750)

Pepperpete 01-14-2004 07:07 PM

Re: Which filter for kero? Mr Funnel?

Deleted. It double posted for some reason.

Pepperpete 01-14-2004 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve N. (Post 743440)
Glenn.... I just wanted to make sure that you didn't miss this part. Make sure that your jugs/containers aren't sitting on a concrete floor. Don't have to tie up bench space, just sitting on plywood, 2x4's etc will do fine.

I did miss that part. I will go take them off the floor right now. Does that also include the blue jug I use for fueling?

Pepperpete 01-14-2004 07:09 PM

WTH is wrong with this forum? It's putting my responses at the top???

Pepperpete 08-24-2010 05:40 PM

Which filter for kero? Mr Funnel?

Well as my fuel has been sitting for months without flights, I figured I should be safe and filter out the kero. Can you guys recommend which setup I should get? Check the links below or if you have another recommendation that I might be able to find locally...that would be even better.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...n=Mr.%20Funnel

crhammond 08-24-2010 11:14 PM

I get my fuel from the Mohawk depot in Edmonton. I filter with a Mr. Filter for the first stage and I remove about 50 to 100ml of bad fuel (water) from 19l. It is a great filter and works as advertised.

Probably not needed for commercial Kero form Canadian Tiu\re/Walmart but it is great if you are getting bulk fuel that may have water etc.

Chris.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepperpete (Post 743092)
Well as my fuel has been sitting for months without flights, I figured I should be safe and filter out the kero. Can you guys recommend which setup I should get? Check the links below or if you have another recommendation that I might be able to find locally...that would be even better.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...n=Mr.%20Funnel

Kelly W 08-25-2010 12:00 AM

I've seen reports that a Mr Funnel can filter out more than just water, including turbine oil in some cases. I'm going to get one for filtering kerosene prior to mixing with oil, but not after.

Glenn, for 8+ years now I've just been using the same blue containers and keeping them really well sealed when not in use. With the semi transparent containers (like Canadian Tire use to have) its important to keep them out of sunlight, as it seem to expedite the discoloration.

I once ran a jug of fuel that sat for 2 years after being mixed with BP2380. I stored it in the garage, through summers and winters. It was in a blue jug with an o-ring seal on the lid that I made myself. The stock cap should work fine too, but I'd just ensure its tight... The fuel looked brand new, had no brown tint what so ever, and ran just as well as a newly mixed batch. I think the trick is to limit any more moisture from getting in, keeping it a closed and sealed environment...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... :)

Pepperpete 08-25-2010 02:14 AM

Thanks Kelly.

I like your solution the best! =))

Glenn

crhammond 08-25-2010 07:33 AM

Kelly is right on the Mr. Funnel - you can ONLY filter raw fuel. If you mix in turbine oil it won't pass anything at all through!

I only use the Mr. Funnel because I am using bulk fuel (which is less than 1/2 the cost of the Canadian Tire/Wal Mart stuff.)

Guest 08-25-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly W (Post 743241)
I've seen reports that a Mr Funnel can filter out more than just water, including turbine oil in some cases. I'm going to get one for filtering kerosene prior to mixing with oil, but not after.

Glenn, for 8+ years now I've just been using the same blue containers and keeping them really well sealed when not in use. With the semi transparent containers (like Canadian Tire use to have) its important to keep them out of sunlight, as it seem to expedite the discoloration.

I once ran a jug of fuel that sat for 2 years after being mixed with BP2380. I stored it in the garage, through summers and winters. It was in a blue jug with an o-ring seal on the lid that I made myself. The stock cap should work fine too, but I'd just ensure its tight... The fuel looked brand new, had no brown tint what so ever, and ran just as well as a newly mixed batch. I think the trick is to limit any more moisture from getting in, keeping it a closed and sealed environment...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... :)

Hi Kelly,
Just as a point of interest, the fuel doesn't discolor unless it already has the oil in it. It's the oil itself that turns brown with the sunlight, the clear Kero stays clear if it doesn't have oil in it. Not sure if the same thing still happens with the 2 stroke oils that some guys are using now.
Jeremy

reo 08-25-2010 12:10 PM

where are you guys sourcing Mr. Funnel?.....locally or mailorder?....thx...ron