RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Spektrum AR7000 warning (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=87202)

MarkToo 04-17-2009 05:25 PM

Spektrum AR7000 warning

This may be common knowledge but....

I was flying Wednesday when I lost control of my .90 sized extra for 3 or 4 seconds - it went into failsafe for some reason. I did get control back in time to avert disaster, but obviously just landed and called it a day.

Speaking with Spektrum on the phone, they had me do a test on the RX. Powering things up just like you normally would, and checking you have control, you then switch the RX power off then back on. If the orange lights in the receiver and remote receiver come back on solid, that's no good. If they come back on and flash - that's good.

Apparently my receiver requires a firmware update to ensure a quick link should connection be lost with the model for any reason.

I checked my other 2 AR7000's as well, and they both need it too. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I'm grounded until I get them back. If you're running the 7000, you may want to check them to be sure you are up to date with the firmware.

I was lucky, you may not be if your receivers are not set up with the quick link code.

Just thought I'd pass it on....

Mark

swixtt 04-17-2009 05:52 PM

Re: Spektrum AR7000 warning

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkToo (Post 602420)
This may be common knowledge but....

I was flying Wednesday when I lost control of my .90 sized extra for 3 or 4 seconds - it went into failsafe for some reason. I did get control back in time to avert disaster, but obviously just landed and called it a day.

Speaking with Spektrum on the phone, they had me do a test on the RX. Powering things up just like you normally would, and checking you have control, you then switch the RX power off then back on. If the orange lights in the receiver and remote receiver come back on solid, that's no good. If they come back on and flash - that's good.

Apparently my receiver requires a firmware update to ensure a quick link should connection be lost with the model for any reason.

I checked my other 2 AR7000's as well, and they both need it too. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I'm grounded until I get them back. If you're running the 7000, you may want to check them to be sure you are up to date with the firmware.

I was lucky, you may not be if your receivers are not set up with the quick link code.

Just thought I'd pass it on....

Mark

thanks for posting... so you are sending them to ?
when they come on solid during the test, do you still have no control?
i'll check mine too.

MarkToo 04-17-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swixtt (Post 602426)
thanks for posting... so you are sending them to ?
when they come on solid during the test, do you still have no control?
i'll check mine too.

They have gone back to Horizon Hobbies (Spektrum). The update service is offered at no charge (so it should be).

The flashing LEDs just indicate you had an issue (signal loss, power brownout/loss etc.), you still regain control flashing or not, just without the update to the firmware, it can take up to 4 seconds. If your RX flashes, it indicates you have the quick reconnect firmware already installed.

After cycling power on RX while TX is on as well:

Solid= old firmware
Flashing = current firmware

Hope this is more clear.

swixtt 04-17-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkToo (Post 602441)
They have gone back to Horizon Hobbies (Spektrum). The update service is offered at no charge (so it should be).

The flashing LEDs just indicate you had an issue (signal loss, power brownout/loss etc.), you still regain control flashing or not, just without the update to the firmware, it can take up to 4 seconds. If your RX flashes, it indicates you have the quick reconnect firmware already installed.

After cycling power on RX while TX is on as well:

Solid= old firmware
Flashing = current firmware

Hope this is more clear.

Wilco .....

voyager_663rd 04-17-2009 06:43 PM

only with the 7000?

davecrash 04-17-2009 07:06 PM

163 Attachment(s)
It's for all of them. I sent back several 6100's last year. they come back with a V1.6 sticker on them. this blinking light also confirms that you have had a brown out and should check your setup. look for this before you power down your Rx.

marcham 04-17-2009 09:06 PM

57 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkToo (Post 602420)
you then switch the RX power off then back on. If the orange lights in the receiver and remote receiver come back on solid, that's no good. If they come back on and flash - that's good.

Mark, how long where you unplugged for? If it was more than 2 seconds then it won't recover to the previously used frequency. Brown out protection is designed for very short dips in the receiver voltage (ie < 2 secs) ... of course, while the pack recovers, you still won't have control ... the only thing it avoids is the 2-4 second frequency scan when it initializes. But if the power outage is too long (even with the new firmware), you are stuck with a full reboot.

I assume your receivers are relatively old ... purchased prior to Jan 2008?

Did you figure out what in your radio system caused the low voltage? What is your setup in terms of servos and receiver pack?

Cheers, Marc

Guest 04-17-2009 09:25 PM

Is this still a concern for receivers ordered within the last 6 months from Horizon?

MarkToo 04-17-2009 09:53 PM

I can't say with certainty exactly what happened. The Extra I was flying (60 sized with an OS 91), has Hitec 5645 digitals all around. The servo travels are all carefully set. I'm running a good 5 cell NiMh 2700 mAh battery. It was the first flight of the day and I wasn't yet doing anything of any consequence - I was actually flying quite cautiously, as I've been trying to get the engine working right, so was playing around with the throttle while flying a circuit. All my wiring is secure and in good condition.

Although I would say a brownout is unlikely, it must be what happened......

Aside from that, I can't say.

davecrash 04-17-2009 10:26 PM

163 Attachment(s)
If the light is blinking you have gone below the minimum voltage required. if you lose signal it won't be blinking. but this is only with the V1.6
this update was done well over a year ago, unless you bought stock from an LHS that had it sitting around you should be okay. any of the later 6100's I bought had a V1.6 sticker on it. not sure if they put this on the 7000's