RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Control Line and Free Flight (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Engine rebuild (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=62582)

kiwipaul 01-30-2007 12:42 PM

Engine rebuild

Hi Guys.
Ive got 2 engines that wont run. One is an old Fox 40 the other a McCoy 35. No compresion. Looks like the engines were run with not enough Castor in the fuel. Can they be rebuilt? Are they worth rebuilding? Any sugestions?

wise guy 01-30-2007 02:01 PM

The mc coy .35 engine was good for about a year or two before they ran out of compression and they are no longer made them any more. The fox engine needed a lot of caster oil to run good at least 22 to 25% oil and you may still get parts for them . Try adding more castor to these engines especelly if they are plain bearing engines like the mc coy. Drug store castor will work in these engines

ModelBuilder 04-16-2007 12:18 PM

Re: Engine rebuild

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwipaul
Hi Guys.
Ive got 2 engines that wont run. One is an old Fox 40 the other a McCoy 35. No compresion. Looks like the engines were run with not enough Castor in the fuel. Can they be rebuilt? Are they worth rebuilding? Any sugestions?

Not practical to rebuild without coincidentally having the needed parts on hand as no longer produced for the McCoy. The .40 would be better replaced with a new one if you must have one. I have both of those motors. The McCoy .35 I won't run because they do where out quickly and a Fox .35 is only $79 at GH if a good .35 Stunt is req'd.

The usable parts of either your engines may also be of value to anyone missing a trust washer, needle valve assembly or undamaged crankshaft for either type.

Members of Stuka Stunt Works Forum often need such parts or engines. One mans junk.....

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcb...pics&forum=104

kiwipaul 04-16-2007 10:15 PM

Thank you Gentelmen. It so happens our club is having an auction this Saturday and there are 15 engines, 6 with planes attached plus spares and building material.
I did modify a Fox 40 r.c to c/l by removing the carburator and in its place put a small diameter piece of tubing. Also drilled out a hole and inserted a spray bar. It runs at a 4 stroke when sitting level and 2 strokes when slightly tilted. The motor has potential as it hasn't been run in yet. Going to be a good season I can tell.
Kiwipaul

ModelBuilder 04-17-2007 07:30 AM

Fox .40

The .40 sounds good. I have a new (bought a few years ago) Fox .40 CL motor but I was told by many sources that it would not 4-2-4 that easily without running it really sloppy with a large dia low pitch prop. I have a testbed for it though and will just have to work through it. I was hoping to build a Nobler just for it but with no first hand experience of the engine I'm going to wait. The one thing that no one disputes is the power they put out.

TLyttle 04-17-2007 07:24 PM

Rebuilds

It may be a good idea to get in touch with the Model Engine Collectors Assn. (MECA); there are lots of suppliers of NOS parts and remanufacturers in that group. They should be of help to you.

brandon.davies 02-14-2008 12:23 PM

Ron Kennedy

Ron Kennedy is into fox engines and would probaly love to help:!:
But dont hold me to it:!:!:!:!:!:!

sblake 02-14-2008 08:01 PM

Greetings all:
I would think the Fox 40 is worth fixing unless it is totally worn out. I don't know which version it is, but if it's one of the later schneurle versions Fox still has parts including gaskets, controlline venturies, head buttons, etc. which you can order direct on their web site at www.foxmanufacturing.com. The parts are pretty reasonable too. The McCoy .35 probably isn't worth fixing, as several have already said, but parts do come up pretty often on e-bay. Of course, so do the engines. They work okay in freeflight nostalgia gas. It takes a long time to wear out an engine 9 seconds at a time!

Simon

kiwipaul 02-17-2008 09:04 PM

Gentlemen there are good people in this world. I've been to 2 auctions and bid for a Fox 40, Fox 35, NIB McCoy 35, with no sucess. But the winners of the bids felt sorry for me and GAVE me the motors. Can you belive it?
kiwipaul