RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Boat Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   sailboat just looking (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=391282)

JR Sport 12-05-2015 04:21 AM

sailboat just looking

thinking of trying some RC sailing since I have all RC planes covered and still fly lots.
Just looking at what is out there, just more of an information search on what is for sale as a newbie and see what is out there

Max 12-05-2015 08:02 AM

Re: sailboat just looking

RC Sailing is as easy as pie to learn the basics and a ton of fun.

Once you get the basics, it takes a lot of skill to master it and be really good. Good enough to race.

I say go for it!!!! :TU:

If I were you I would look to buy a ready-to-run sailboat. Its an easy way to start and will help you get your feet wet. From there, the sky...erm.. the SEA! is the limit ;)

bensidus197217 12-06-2015 11:39 AM

I've always been interested in RC sailboats and I'm sure once you get into them a whole new horizon will open up. Keep us posted because anyone that gets his teeth into RC planes will likely do the same with this.

honker 12-06-2015 02:50 PM

I have found that rc sailing and power boats to be great if you have some completion, though on your own its pleasant but.
Maybe take your time and do some research into clubs and the model classes they sail in your area.
more information on local clubs could be through The Canadian Radio Yachting association
CRYA.
Cheers
Bill

Heliboy 12-06-2015 04:11 PM

Tried it this year and love it....a lot more involved than most might think, racing rules are more or less the same as with full sized boats....the full size rule book I saw was 50 pages, biggest mistake I made was in assuming that because I could control an rc heli that I would therefore find an RC sailboat a total cakewalk.......WRONGO ! :)

One of the most active classes here in BC Is the "Victoria" class

Here ya go :)

http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Index1.html

bensidus197217 12-06-2015 04:52 PM

That sounds great but I can't figure out how you can sail in the direction the wind is coming from?

Heliboy 12-06-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bensidus197217 (Post 2661730)
That sounds great but I can't figure out how you can sail in the direction the wind is coming from?

Youtube and Google are your friends....mostly ;)

tommy 12-17-2015 10:08 AM

Many years ago my friend went into sailboats and so did I. I built a Dumas 36"( Husion?)and it was awesome just sailing. After a time I'd come home from work wound out and the wife kicked me out to go sailing, at the pond I would settle down and come home like a normal person. So it was good medicine for me. But be careful if you go to big water as some boaters tried to run over the sail boats until I showed them a .308.

tommy 12-17-2015 10:12 AM

Many years ago my friend went into sailboats and so did I. I built a Dumas 36"( Husion?)and it was awesome just sailing. After a time I'd come home from work wound out and the wife kicked me out to go sailing, at the pond I would settle down and come home like a normal person. So it was good medicine for me. But be careful if you go to big water as some idiot boaters tried to run over the sail boats until I showed them a scoped .308 I could go idiot also.

bensidus197217 12-17-2015 06:45 PM

Interesting post! Seems there's always a jerk to be found no matter where you do RC unless of course it's in the middle of nowhere.