RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   3D - Aerobatics (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Wing rock help (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=200397)

itizme 07-15-2013 09:01 PM

Wing rock help

30% Edge 540
19.6 lbs, yes it is heavy, old and ugly, they don't crash that way!
DLE55 23-8 Xoar
Fuel on the balance point

If I take off transitioning into harrier I remain solid whether I am level or climbing.

When I enter my harrier any other time the thing oscillates back and forth when attitude is likely from 20 degrees up to 70 or 80 degrees.

Throttle makes no change
Increasing or decreasing altitude, no change
Aileron control remains but can be scary

Would love to knock the bottle over with this one but just not comfortable to keep close to the ground for long enough to be successful.

Any chance anyone has figured out how to tame the beast? Only thing I can do is temporary by using opposite rudder and aileron, but that usually gets you out of harrier and hover positions when you don't want to.

cravenjw 07-15-2013 09:23 PM

Re: Wing rock help

Have you tried using an elevator to aileron mix. Both ailerons go up with up elevator. It you do inverted harrier both down with with elev. put it on a switch. I used ths mix to learn to harrier. Try 25-50% mix to start. I have used right up to 100%.
I only use it now to get crazy completely vertical elevators.

If your flying Spektrum, mix the elev to LAL. It will back mix to the RAL automatically.

Side force generators as seem to stabilize rock.
Move cog back a little.

But some planes rock no matter what you do, the question is, is it a stable rock or unstable go to full tip stall. I find chasing a little rock with ail input just makes it worse. But that's me. If its stable, just let it rock.

itizme 07-15-2013 09:36 PM

I can try mix, that's easy enough.

I don't know how much more I can move cog before I start to climb inverted, maybe none. Is that a bad thing to climb inverted because of balance?

I think I had it rocking for at least two hours today so it must not be too unstable, I brought the plane back home when all was done.

cravenjw 07-15-2013 09:45 PM

Steve,
I would not move cog back so plane goes up fast when inverted. It will just get unstable and twitchy at speed or porpoise.
A buddy had a plane. It would not stop rocking, but it didn't go bad either, he just had to live with it.
One other thing. Even a good no rock harrier plane, will rock with a crosswind. Try to keep your harriers going up and down wind for low or no rock.

itizme 07-16-2013 05:21 AM

Winds were not an issue, it didn't matter what direction I was turning or flying it, still rocking, still had aileron control.
Maybe it is a sign it would rather hang completely on the prop than put up with my harrier

itizme 07-25-2013 07:56 AM

Hey John

I will have the fugly old BME Edge 54o at Huckfest Saturday. Will do something with the flight mode switch setup today. Please introduce yourself and come to the flight line with me to see if you can learn me some more on the subject. Will test fly the mixing tomorrow so if all doesn't go well then I wont have a rocker with me, lol
:)
Cheers
Steve

cravenjw 07-25-2013 08:28 AM

Steve
I'll be there bright and early for Saturday. I'll definitely find you.
I just spent last night figuring out how to do the elev-ail Harrier mix on my new jeti.
With the jeti, I can put the mix strength from 0-100% on a dial/slider, rather than fixed ratio I had on Spektrum. I'll have my slick on jeti and my edge on the dx18.
Looking forward to some serious tail touches, bottle knocking, and vertcial elevators!!!
Cya there
John

itizme 07-25-2013 09:03 AM

Roger that
Hooah!!

Good Grief 08-02-2013 05:55 PM

Man, the two of you guys together...... I can just hear it from here!;):D:yikes::rock:

itizme 08-02-2013 06:19 PM

sadly I didnt make it, but by next year I hope to be in better health and contribute to the prop rippin fun!