RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Multi Rotor Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Ordering from hobbyking (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=306234)

type-si 01-05-2015 02:20 AM

Ordering from hobbyking

Hello everyone, has anyone ordered from Hobbyking and paid custom or duty fees? I'm planning to order around $ 700 I'm afraid of the custom fees. Should I ship it to USA?

davidmc36 01-05-2015 03:30 AM

Re: Ordering from hobbyking

That big will most likely hit you with sales tax. But if you go pick it up and declare it on the way back it will be the same. The last order I got in the mail from DDM valued around 600CAD hit me with HST and 20 dollars processing fee.

Mike Sebastien 01-05-2015 04:00 AM

hobby king has a cheat during the checkout process. You can get it sent as a gift and or 30% of the value.

NDW 01-05-2015 05:40 AM

Have it sent fedex and have it in 3-4 days...... Pay there fee at the door shuck for me was $25' on a $300 order. Beats waiting for several months.... Extra fee is worth it in my mind.

D.

bcsaltchucker 01-05-2015 07:49 PM

If your order contain items only from the USA Warehouse, then order it Purolator and there will be no fees. They only stock limited selection in the USA Wahehouse though: most aircraft, all lipos, limited selection of hardware, motors, servos.

cosmith 01-06-2015 06:01 AM

There isn't any duty on hobby products, but sales tax and brokerage can add up on that big of an order.

HobbyKing has changed a lot of their shipping options so who knows what is even available. Fedex is hit and miss with charging brokerage and tax, however if they do charge their rates are reasonable. I learned the hard way to avoid UPS like the plague, they nearly doubled the price of my EF 48" Edge and it was labelled second hand.

I've had some large items come "China Post" or whatever equivalent and have not been charged for brokerage or tax. If your order gets handed to Canada Post when it gets to Canada that seems to be the best way to avoid all the fees.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

magimat 05-07-2015 08:04 PM

I always prefer to order from domestic stores.. I don't remeber for hk specificlly, but I was charged duty fee more than once when ordering from china

Joshuamcd22 05-08-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by type-si (Post 2157506)
Hello everyone, has anyone ordered from Hobbyking and paid custom or duty fees? I'm planning to order around $ 700 I'm afraid of the custom fees. Should I ship it to USA?

You tell them what parcel value to put on the box during checkout. I would recommend declaring it at a "reasonable" value, I think you can go down to 10% but there is a possibility that customs may require proof of value if it looks really wrong. I normally declare at 40% or so, and send it as gift. You will still get hit with brokerage charges if you send it via courier, It will be between $20 and $40 depending on on the mood of whoever is reviewing your package. (There is always a chance it will get through for free, but just assume you will be charged)

Dstory 07-09-2015 05:32 PM

Hit or miss, but mostly positive

JoeT 07-09-2015 06:01 PM

Last order I made was 3 weeks ago, and it arrived in 2 weeks. The total value was in the 650 range, and the waybill on the box indicated $175.00, its pretty hit and miss, but this time I got hit with GST on the 175.00 and handling fees from Canada Post. Total fees was 33 bucks, not too bad actually.

Hobbyking service has been getting better and better all the time. On a previous order, they didn't ship the fuel hose clamps, and I filled out an RMA online, and within 24 hours, I got a credit on my account. Funny thing is, 2 months later, the fuel clamps arrived on a separate shipment, and I still have the credit.

Fantastic service on RMA's if you learn and figure out how to do it.