RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Who's got some solartex experience??? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=341329)

Jsp 05-11-2015 04:46 PM

Who's got some solartex experience???

Hey guys.

I'm almost to the stage where I can cover my 42% AMR decathlon. I've got 4-10 meter rolls. Haha

Ive worked with the stuff before and I really like how easy it is to work with. Except I'm really not good when it comes to the fuse. Well the fuse to horizontal stab to be exact.

I'm wondering if there's any solartex pros out there that would be willing to help out. I can bring the plane to you. And I definitely don't expect it for free. I will pay the right person. :).

I just just don't want to do it myself. And end up with a hack job on a plane that I have thousands into lol

So who's got some tips. Or who wants an interview for a job?

Thanks in advance guys.

williame3590 05-11-2015 09:35 PM

Re: Who's got some solartex experience???

Just do it yourself Jason, it's easy! Do it in four panels starting from the bottom, then the sides and finally the top. This way your seems are facing down and barely visible.
I also coat the entire airframe in Stix-It before covering. Just enough heat to lay it down and once covered turn your iron up a bit more and slowly iron and shrink everything down tight.
Finally use the heat gun to finish it off and a final tightening.

You will need a couple of beers to relax and some of your favorite music blaring in the background. Also, tell the wife and kids that there is to be no distraction's once the process begin's.

Good luck!:Happy_Dance:

Bill

roscoe 05-11-2015 11:02 PM

One trick I was shown, and still use for that pesky join where the horizontal stab and the vertical fin meet the fuselage: cut a strip 1/2" wide, and lay it in the valley and use a trim iron to carefully seal it down. That way when you apply the rest of the covering there will be no gaps showing. As Bill already mantioned, a coat of stixit first (I use nitrate dope) is essential to a good sturdy job.
Hope I explained it right.

williame3590 05-12-2015 06:23 AM

Yes Ross, I do that as well at the stab.

Bill

TBrum 05-12-2015 07:40 AM

Jason. You'll love this stuff. My suggestion is to start on the wings first and get a feel for how it irons down and stretches / shrinks. You'll then be a pro when it comes to the fuse. Solartex has insane shrinkage abilities, so you'll have no issues doing that part of the fuse that scares you.

If you are still nervous after doing to wings, send me a PM and you can come over one evening and we'll have a Solartex covering party on the fuse, LOL.

Trev

cessna180 05-12-2015 09:08 AM

I am also new to using iron on covering. All previous models I have constructed used fabric (koverall/dacron/silk) or silkspan and sprayed Butyrate Dope. Now with no spray booth I have to learn how to use the iron on method. I did cover some framed elevators, stab and rudder with Solartex on to bare balsa and they turned out good. Now I have a fuselage that is solid balsa and ply. Previous mentions suggest using Stix-It or Nitrate Dope. Would Butyrate Dope work just as well?
Michael

acetrumper1 05-12-2015 11:16 AM

I'd have to agree with Trevor. You'll love this stuff.

Solartex makes you look good. Seams blend together like magic. It's a pleasure to work with. Once your done, you'll wish you covered all your planes with this stuff.

Don't sweat it.

Don

Jsp 05-12-2015 11:25 AM

Thanks a lot guys for the tips and encouragement.

I have done a little bit of work with this stuff. But just covering the wings on the 1/3rd scale cub.

Covering is a make it or break it time haha. So I'll get the wings covered. But I may take you up on the solartex party Trevor.

I may cover the wings in the next week or two. Depending how much time I get.

TBrum 05-13-2015 05:33 AM

The iron is ready for the party Jason :):):). But once you get into it, I'm pretty confident that you'll feel very experienced by the time you get to the fuse.

TBrum 05-13-2015 05:41 AM

Jason... There was some good discussion in these two builds about Solartex if you want to browse. The GeeBee had crazy curves and the Solartex went on so easy. Also, note the automotive clear that was applied on the Wedell Williams.. Not sure the finish you were trying to achieve?.

GeeBee
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=197060

Wedell Williams Racer
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=193618