RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Jet Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   What are the requirements for brakes and engine kill switch? (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=53939)

JohnnyHotRocks 02-23-2006 04:48 PM

What are the requirements for brakes and engine kill switch?

Hi Guys,
My Wren should be here soon for the Savex (hope to find the courage to fly it this summer)....just wondering...is there a requirement for brakes? I'll be flying off grass, but I wouldn't mind some paved runway flying too...

Is there a requirement for a separate kill switch for the turbine?

Thanks,
John

RC_MAN 02-23-2006 05:07 PM

brakes

As far as I know the plane must remain stationary during idle. On a small turbine brakes may not be needed. Just put slight friction on the nose wheel.

As for a shut off you must be able to shut the turbine down in the air in an emergency. Your ECU should eb able to do that. Many modellers run an independat servo operated valve as a sendary back up.

Peter Doupnik

nony 02-23-2006 07:05 PM

The MAAC safety rules are in section 5 of this .pdf file

http://www.maac.ca/docs/forms/2006/2...afety_Code.pdf

Sections 1 - 8 of the GTBA is here:

http://www.gtba.co.uk/codes/codedoc.htm

There is a requirement for a separate kill swtich independent of the throttle (I didn't know that ..). I was waffling on whether to install one or not, but I guess I will now. Intarco makes one (Altecare distributes them in Canada) I'm not aware of any other commercial units..

rcav8tr 02-23-2006 07:13 PM

Fuel Shut-off

Quote:

Originally Posted by nony
There is a requirement for a separate kill swtich independent of the throttle (I didn't know that ..). I was waffling on whether to install one or not, but I guess I will now. Intarco makes one (Altecare distributes them in Canada) I'm not aware of any other commercial units..

Hi Wayne

Where did you see this? I can't find it in the MAAC rules.

OK, I see it now in the GTBA rules. My recollection from when we wrote these rules is that the GTBA rules were meant to be applied to homebuilt turbines and not commercial turbines. If this rule is applied, it would mean that the MAAC rules are more restirctive than AMA rules which do not have this requirement.

Ed

JohnnyHotRocks 02-23-2006 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info, especially the link to the maac rules....#10 states that "I will have an electric or mechanical fuel shutoff"...is this the same as the manually operated fuel tap that I have seen people closing prior to fueling the tanks?

Quote:

My recollection from when we wrote these rules is that the GTBA rules were meant to be applied to homebuilt turbines and not commercial turbines

So is the separate kill switch only required on home built turbines?

thanks,
John

Guest 02-23-2006 08:06 PM

Re: What are the requirements for brakes and engine kill swi

Hi John

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHotRocks
is there a requirement for brakes? I'll be flying off grass, but I wouldn't mind some paved runway flying too

Yes, the brakes are a requirement unless the aircraft remains motionless when released on idle. This might work well on grass, but on paved runway, the plane will roll. If you are considering flying at any of the big events like Leamington, B of Q etc brakes are a welcome feature. The other need for brakes is after landing, as we know, landings are not always perfect and it allways helps to stop when you need to. Finally as you are negotiating the taxiway for take off there will be a need to stop at some point or another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHotRocks
Is there a requirement for a separate kill switch for the turbine?

Yes two methods of turbine shutdown are a requirement. One is via throtle control (fuel pump) and the other via servo operated mechanical valve or Solenoid Valve. Both methods of shutdown are part of any full Autostart system which your Aurostart Wren is.

Another requirement is a FailSafe feature which will shut down the engine in case of signal loss (with a possibility of delay of up to 2 s). This is a standard feature of PCM radios and I strongly suggest you use a PCM radio system to fly your jet.

The above details are the minimum requirement.
There are some after market fuel valve control devices that will override the system and shut down the fuel on demand for extra safety step.

Regards

Guest 02-23-2006 08:11 PM

Hey John
You got the Sammy bug now and you are saving the Connie?

Rcpete 02-23-2006 08:24 PM

kill

HI all, Jetcat turbines come with trottle trim shut down plus Aux 2 shut down on JR radios plus 2second failsafe shutdown.
Rcpete

rcav8tr 02-23-2006 08:24 PM

Fuel Shut off

Wayne, Peter

Peter's got it right. I went back and re-read the GTBA rules and Peter's interpretation fits within the rules with regards to autostart ECUs.

The failsafe switch can be your throttle kill switch. Which would provide a means to kill the engine independent of the throttle stick.

Sincerely,
Ed

nony 02-23-2006 08:37 PM

Hi Ed....

I know it is a requirement in the UK (and other countries), so I wonder if GTBA has recently added that in - I don't recall seeing it before.

It is a problem having a subset of the safety rules in someone else's hands - changes can be made without our knowlege or consent (If this is indeed, the case...).

Perhaps this is something that the Jet Committee should look at.....