RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Help! Question About Dope Types
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83
Re: Help! Question About Dope Types

I used Sig Supercoat clear butyrate (presumeably with more tautening power than 'Lite Coat') on a quarter scale model that is still around after 35-40 years and did not experience any warping of the structure nor is there any cracking of the finish today.

I recall that I added a "plasticizer" ... pharmacy grade castor oil in the amount of perhaps 5 drops per quart....... Dave Brown had a similar product called FlexAll that people also used. The plasticizer was used to prevent cracking of the finish over time, but others have said/claimed that it also reduces the tautening power of regular nitrate or butyrate dope.
It may be worthwhile calling up Randoph or Brodak and asking them... and others hers here may have an opinion on this.

The control line crowd websites and blogs would be further sources of information.

good luck,

Michael
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.