RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - life battery need some help
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: life battery need some help

I too use the "Charge the low cell individually" technique when I have a low cell on a pack that is off a considerable amount.
My "Special cable" is a servo extension. Just cut and peel off the shroud on the extension so the 3 pins of the servo lead are exposed. Plug the red and black lead of the servo extension to the low cell, black and red on the servo lead to the corresponding pin on the balance lead. Ignore the signal lead, it wont be connected to anything on the other end.
Most charger "octopus" have a battery connector charge lead that the servo extension will plug into. Do not charge more than 1A this way, the wires are too thin to handle more than that. Set the charger to 1 cell lipo or life) and away you go.

One other point of interest:

Your balance charger could be out of calibration
Some chargers have a calibration function, others do not. If yours does, you should check and calibrate your charger to the manufacturers specifications every once in a while.

In the last few months, I had my Ipoint charger take too long balancing my batteries out.
It seemed when I charged 5 and 6 cell packs, the last two cells were always low and needed a lot of time, like 2 or 3 hours to balance charge at 1C. This charger had always balance-charged very quickly in the past, so I assumed my batteries were getting old.

It was only after a few weeks before I finally clued in to something wrong. When checking with my batteru checker, I noticed that the last 2 cells were overcharged. I verified that the problem was with the battery and not with the battery checker by using a flukemeter to check each cell accurately. Sure enough, the last 2 cells were overcharged. I then checked the packs on the Ipoint charger, and it said the last 2 cells were LOW.

The instructions for calibrating my charger were available on line. I followed the instructions and had to make adjustments the the charger voltage calibration for cells 5 and 6.
That was a month ago. Now my 5 and 6 cell packs balance charge in about 1 hour at 1C; the way it should be!!

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last edited by Max; 05-22-2014 at 08:01 AM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.