RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - ohio r/c extra 300s
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #16
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
How much power IS too much???

Andrew, would you please give me your thoughts on using engines that are way overpowered for a plane. Seems these days many people are going bigger and bigger engines like in this example for a 1/4 scale plane.

Bill has a point when he says you can always throttle down BUT how does running an engine at way less than full all the time affect an engine? Just courious and am not knocking anyone here. I've done it myself! Even full size plane engines are designed to run most efficently, cooling etc and for greatest life expectency at around 75% power setting.

Also doesn't going extremely larger than recommended result in other problems? eg: airframe stress, balance problems, possible over speed and flutter at high speed, etc.

And in the case of a mishap (accident or crash) where there is injury and or property damage how does MAAC react if there is a claim and a plane is found to be altered way over MFG's specs??

I myself am putting together a Funtana .40 at the moment and it calls for a max of a .72 FS engine and I am installing a .91 Saito. I've thought about the above questions many times and would appreciate some input!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.