RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Please help me decide...narrowed it down.
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
Kelly W
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 6
Re: Please help me decide...narrowed it down.

Only think I'll add to the above is that I believe the VT-80 had an abnormally high residual thrust (minimum thrust at idle). It looks to have improved, but it is still at 1.0lb, which is on the higher side for that physical size of engine.

Baseline for comparison, the PST-600 and Wren clones tended to have around 0.5lb. A JetCat P-80 or 120 (KJ-66 derivatives, still running a 66mm exhaust turbine) had somewhere around 1.0lb to 1.2lb. A P-70 was in the range of 0.7lb as I remember. Most others in the 20-30lb range had residuals between 1.2 and 1.4 max. Having flown a turbine on my hotspot with a high residual, around 1.6-1.8 lb, I can say its was not fun... At times I was certainly risking a perpetual bouncing landing and serious damage to the model from not being able to slow it down well enough. I had inside knowledge of the ECU in that case, and convinced the manufacturer to lower the idle speed to resolve the issue.

Keep this in mind if you ever plan to put an engine in a slippery jet, max thrust is not the only thrust to worry about.

Kelly
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.