RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Storage in garage ??
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Don M.

Total Props: 0
I am an "Expert" on this . For the last 14 years I have had to store my planes and R/C gear in an UNHEATED & UNAIRCONDITIONED attic in my home in Nova Scotia while I go to work about 2500 miles away. They are there usually from July - May in the heat, the cold & the extreme humidity you can only get in a Martime area. I use absolutely no special treatment. The engines are oiled and put in plastic bags but the airplanes are just left in the open.

I have about 10 finished planes and 20 kits there. I have a 1/5 P-51, a Typhoon pattern plane, a 27% Ultimate, 2 - strokes, 4 - strokes, gassers, etc. etc. All in all I would say I have over $30,000.00 in stuff ( just ask my wife ). Every year I go home, take 3 or 4 planes out of the attic and there has never been a twist or warp in any of them and some have been there for 10 years.

3 years ago I had to leave town in a big hurry and left my Typhoon in the attic fully equipped ( YS 140, digital servos, rec, everything but the battery ) last summer 2 years later I dragged it down expecting the worst. I put a battery in it, fueled it up and flew it for 75 flights without a hiccup.

2 years ago I decided to build a Balsa USA Smoothie that had been there since 1988. Every piece of wood in the kit was usable and it was straight & true when finished.

I just had a member of RCC ask to buy a Quadra 42 from me that has been sitting there since the early 90's and I bet I can mount it, prime it and it will start first crank, if I can find it

vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.