RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Starting out
Thread: Starting out
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 06:32 PM   #11
Sonic Boomer

Total Props: 0
I always find it entertaining when a thread takes a left turn and gets a little silly !! No, I didn't watch LOTR this week - we don't have TV out here, so we just read and for visuals, we go outside at night and watch the Northern Lights dance about the sky - Oh, I forgot you poor folk way down there in the South don't get NL reception but then you probably couldn't see them anyway through the haze !!
Yes Jim, I am definitely male, but don't offend very easy, so we're good. Incidently, I must admit I had to edit my post twice to fix my own speeling eroors (oops) before taking advantage of yours And if hobbits are androgenous, chances are they don't have the same issues with same sex marriage as we spend so much time deliberating over - we probably shouldn't go too much further with that one, this could easily deteriorate into a political freeforall.
To bring it back on track, I enjoy this hobby/addiction really lots, and have missed the flying and the cameradrie while I was inactive for 5 yrs - went from club pres. to non-member. We have a good club in Saskatoon, membership has fallen from about 120 6 yrs ago to around 80 - not sure why, I wasn't there, but one thing is for sure, we DON'T have a waiting list to join, unlike some clubs in Ont. Our two main competition components are Pylon and Precision Aerobatics, I fly PA and then help to put on the Pylon race meet.
Practicing pattern sequences got me in the habit of coming to the field with a purpose beyond boring (BORING) holes in the sky, and helped me to focus on what I was doing up there and pay attention to air movement, etc. It has made me a better R/C pilot. Having said all that, what I would prefer to be flying is Scale Aerobatics, mainly because of the direct connection with real aircraft. BUT -- IMAC is for intents and purposes non-existent out our way. Yeah, Yeah, I know - if I'm that interested, then I am probably the best one to do something about it. Some of the club members have Extras, Yaks, and Sukhois but they are generally 40 to 60 size and the guys are content to 'sport fly'. This winter I am building a CG Extra 300 I have had in storage in the box for 6-7 years and powering it with an O.S. 120 4s. I have a hard time building a kit as supplied, this one is no exception - it's getting a plug in foam wing with the same airfoil as kitted and an airfoil stab in place of the kit flat thing. And I will most likely use it to fly PA in '06. I like the Yak also, but have always wanted to build an 80+ ws Sukhoi, preferably a model 29 - yes I saw you have plans available, Jim - and they may just be a good place to start. The down side is, it would be too big for PA (one metre ws limit) but you can't have it all.
Time to break now, I'm in danger of rambling ! Merry Christmas, one and all !! - nuts to the 'political correctness' element
Boomer
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.