RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Dalton Extra 300 ML build
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #173
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126
Re: Dalton Extra 300 ML build

Got to one of my favorite parts of the building process: shaping leading edges! I am not kidding, I love using a nice sharp plane and making those curly shavings. I know it is weird but I find it very satisfying

The first picture shows the stab I worked on the other night with the leading and trailing edges glued on and the stab that just came out from under the weight, ready to be trimmed. The second shot shows the second stab after trimming and ready to be sanded. When sanding a part like this I always use the longest sanding bar that I can.

This is the little Stanley plane that I inherited from my Opa (grandfather) I have used it for years now and I have never needed to sharpen it!! Guess they don't make metal like they used to!

I start by marking a line which extends on the same angle as the shape of the leading edge. I also mark a center line which is critical in making sure that everything stays straight and consistent.

Start the rough planing, always stopping every few strokes to check and see that you are parallel to the lines. I always use the shuck to hold the core steady and straight while planing or sanding.

When you finish the rough planing you will find that there is a nice flat area about 1/4" wide at the root and a sharp angle (no flat area) at the tip. I mark the end of the tip to match the flat area at the root and then using an ultra fine felt, I mark a line along the top of the leading edge connecting to the marking at the tip. I plane down to this line with the end result being that I have a constant flat section (the second last picture shows the tip of the stab) on the front of the leading edge from root to tip.

A couple of more strokes with the plane to take off the sharp edge and a few strokes of sandpaper (long bar) and it is done! The last picture shows a satisfying pile of wood shavings along with balsa being glued to the tip and inside edge of the elevator.

BTW there is almost no sanding involved when you shape the leading edges this way. Just a very few strokes right at the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edges glued and ready to trim.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	188860   Click image for larger version

Name:	ready to sand after trimming.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	188861   Click image for larger version

Name:	use long sanding bar.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	188862   Click image for larger version

Name:	old Stanley plane from Opa.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	188863  

Name:	marking before planing.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	188864   Click image for larger version

Name:	planing to the lines.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	188865   Click image for larger version

Name:	al;ways use the shucks.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	188866   Click image for larger version

Name:	stab root after basic planing.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	188867  

Name:	stab tip sharp.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	188868   Click image for larger version

Name:	marking line to flatten out stab tip.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	188869   Click image for larger version

Name:	stab tip flattened.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	188870   Click image for larger version

Name:	edges glued Love those shavings.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	188871  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.