RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - FPV Aerobat - PA KatanaMD
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24
FPV Aerobat - PA KatanaMD

OK I am not at all an expert LOS pilot. But I fly FPV a lot and feel fairly skilled at it. Been doing mild aerobatics and scale FPV piloting a couple years now. But only with foamy trainer types and flying wings.

Trouble is the more you fly the more confident you get, the more you notice your current plane is lacking the oomph and the response you desire.

Now the LOS guys I fly with are keen on aerobatics, like at most clubs and fields. They have let me pilot their aerobatic planes, which are quite amazing machines. Unlimited vertical, instant response and ... excellent slow speed high alpha handling. Quite unlike FPV foamies and trainers.

So they keep saying - Scott you gotta FPV one of these planes.

So now it will happen.

So I just assembled a Precision Aerobatics KatanaMD. a 46 inch 1Kg AUW marvel of modern RC tech, ply balsa and carbon fibre. Now I am deciding exactly how to build in the FPV components, so teh plane is balanced. Unfortunately that means adding another 200g to the plane for the FPV I have chosen. Not sure what the outcome of that weight gain will be. This is a real floater in OEM form, and easy-ish to land normally.

I have a RVOSD kit on hand I was going to build into a UAV project that is sidelined for now. I want to try RVOSD in this aerobat for one reason: it has a unique artificial horizon, with pitch ladder built into the AHI like you see in modern fighter jet HuD. You see when we do aerobatics in FPV, we have limited peripheral view. Thus we lose spatial orientation when doing high alpha and vertical, loops - you know whenever the plane is pointed steeply upwards. The OSD pitch ladder/AHI will provide the angle of the plane and the pitch of the plane when all the video shows is blue sky.

So now I am just deciding where to place the fpv bits so she's balanced and good for RF (not attached to the plane yet). The FPV stuff adds close to another 200g. Pushes AUW to 1.2Kg. Might be too much, I dunno. should fly, but will it fly as gracefully as the oem plane? RVOSD, PZ0420 on P&T. 5.8 200mW Boscam. Frsky. Hitec servos. 600W motor 12x6 APC prop

vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.