RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - MCPX Flight times?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
GHeliMax
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Gunter V
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 2
Re: MCPX Flight times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwii View Post
Is it safe for the batteries to let it fly until the led starts flashing and loses power or should i just stick to the suggested time?
The short answer is "No, don't fly to low voltage shutoff". LiPos need to be kept within a 'capacity' range (80/20 rule of thumb; maintain min. 20% capacity). You should "stick to suggested times" (though I'm not sure whose 'suggestions' you are referring to. Discharge varies based on flying style). See Is 6 minutes on a stock 200mAh battery OK?, Blade mCPX (batteries & usage).

Quote:
I currently use 2 stock 200mah and 2 "tenergy" 250mah.
I have 10 300mah nano-techs on the way.
Nice battery armada! Consider using a parallel charger adapter.

Quote:
If its not safe to push my batters till the mcpx loses power, then what is a safe time to running the nano-tech's?
The short answer is "It depends". It depends on what kind of flying you're doing: hovering or 3D. Mild vs aggressive flying.

I'm using the mCPX to practice inside (beyond the simulator). Mostly hovering and mild flying. I run 4 minutes on the stock battery & 5 minutes on the 300mAh nano-techs.

Voltage is used as a discharge indicator. This differs under load and at rest. Opinions differ as to what that low voltage point is. Over discharging will shorten the LiPos life for sure (versus charging more often - LiPo life cycle).

On larger packs, I use an inexpensive LiPo tester (i.e.Hyperion EOS Sentry Battery Checker. Note mention of 80%age discharge) to measure discharge. I fly for X minutes & read discharge. I adjust flight time based on discharge rate (keeping a minimum 20% charge). I.e. You would fly your 4 minutes & read the % discharge of your LiPo. If 4 minutes leaves 40% capacity, then 5 minutes should leave 25% capacity (>20% minimum). This assumes a linear discharge rate. Measuring at intervals will determine the safe maximum.

Unfortunately, I've tried the EOS battery checker on the stock 200mAh & nanos 300mAh without success though the 550mAh nanos for the mSR/mQX return a reading (once charged; not new)!

More reading ... Complete Guide to Lithium Polymer Batteries and LiPo Failure Reports, and Red's R/C Battery Clinic. More than you ever wanted to know about LiPos at Wiki LiPo.

Quote:
(I've asked this before, but, how will a brushless mod effect flight time/batters?)
BL mods typically use higher capacity specd motors (and a different ESC). Higher mAh drain = reduced flying time
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.