RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Harvard Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Harvard

Wanted to report a successful test run in the back yard by now. No such luck there.

Have you ever felt you're going backwards on a project? When I first sat the plane on its gear was pleased with the weight carrying ability of the mains, but not with the slop side to side. The legs were so flexible it would have looked like a drunken sailor.

Off to pick up the Robart gear legs recommended for this plane and that meant removing the retracts to drill for the larger diameter. That in itself would not be so bad except for the fact their chrome process now took that wire and increased the diameter to non standard dims. Had to special drill the gear and wheels to fit.

The other problem is the profile is different enough to warrant attacking the wing with the dremel to fit the new coil location and I have found the LH leg considerably wonky. Must have been done early Monday morning as it is shorter enough to interfere with the wheel pocket and slightly aft with some bad bend geometry. So far I have the length issue dealt with, but it's back in the vice at work tonight to see if I can get the other problems sorted. Once done I have some epoxy, sanding and painting to redo there. The other problem is the gear pushrod sits against the leg when retracted and I am adverse to any metal to metal contact in flight. I have seen a loose muffler drive the radio nuts. Will see about plastic tubing or some other method as the routing cannot be altered for that pull.

The motor has also been out several times to work on systems installation and to cut the mount down to allow a better fit of the motor sim plate and cowl. VERY tight fit there and there is no way for air to flow anywhere but over the cylinder. Still a work in progress.

Heat deflector has been fabbed for the exhaust out of thin alloy sheeting and nicely polished up. Should do a very good job keeping heat from the side of the plane. Also made one from brass sheeting, but thought the weight may cause some cracking issues with vibes.

I'm a bit bummed there were no match paint offerings in Toledo and may have to head off to the states to see if I can find something to match the cowl and ductwork.

Should have some pics in a few days.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.