RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Kelowna ogopogo Flyers in trouble :(
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #70
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Aug 2015 - BC club killed by Agri Land zoning challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
Meanwhile - the ALR just KILLED OUR FIELD HERE IN SOOKE BC!!

Here is the story:

- ~4 years ago folks formed a new club here and then 2 years ago we got a deal to lease land from a land owner who was keen to see RC planes fly again on a rural site which had a club decades ago.
- Last 18 months we spent considerable time and $ building a hard fabric runway, fencing and flying stations. Got MAAC inpection and everything a-go
- about 4 months ago learned the land owner losing his property to the bank.
- 2 months ago property sold to a nice fellow in Vancouver as investment. He tells us he likes us being there, but might kick out the horse-trail operator also on site
- club prez recently put up a small sign with club contact info on the gate
- about 5 days ago our club Prez got an urgent call: the RC field is booted out. The landowner rec'd as complaint that 'commercial no agricultural operations' were occuring on site in the form of our RC field. I am like ????? The land continues to be used for agriculture, unecumbered by our flying over it!! There were only about 20 flights (all electric) on the field this season, as the club is still setting things up and starting membership drive.

- The complainant contacted the Agri land commission and filed this complaint. Then an official from the ALC sent a very scary angry letter to the land owner stating this is illegal commercial use of agri land. Obviously in total contravention of the recent court ruling on the Ogopogo club situation near Kelowna.
- We contacted the Zone Rep and of course he gave us whatever info we needed to show our favourable case to the landowner. The land owner was so spooked, he just wants us out of there to avoid any more complaints.

sadness ensues. Prez and I spent several hours yesterday removing our equipment from the site.

Might even consider suing the Agri Land Commission of BC. This is a nasty bully tactic I think. Some surly bureaucrat needs to be put straight about this!!

watch out folks

This was our gorgeous flying site:
https://vimeo.com/118380483
Go the Supreme Court of BC rulings 2014 as the ALR/ALC cannot kick you out as the Supreme Court ruled in favour of KORC and the use on ALR/ALC land allows an unpaved runway and a unpaved helipad. There also is no differentiation whether the use is full size or models. Do your homework with regard to local bylaws and to any noise created and if an issue get sound readings with any commercial operation and yourselves. If your noise is within same operating hours and levels then that is discrimination between private and commercial and they cannot separate the two.
Good Luck.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.