RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Avro Arrow foamie EDF Conversion
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Re: Avro Arrow foamie EDF Conversion

The covering has started. I first do the wings, top and bottom which has to be done at the same time or the wing will really warp. If you do only one side and let the Varathane dry, it shrinks the 3/4 oz cloth enough to distort the surface. This happened to the vertical fin on my pusher Arrow. Oh, use only the water based Varathane Diamond Coat. Varathane makes another version that is solvent based, eats the foam.

After this first coat dries hard, You sand the edges at the trailing edge of the wing to literally cut the excess cloth off. Gives you a very nice edge. Tomorrow night I'll apply the cloth to the rest of the airframe, the vertical fin and the two control surfaces.

After a few coats of Varathane with a light sanding with 220 grit between each coat, the cloth weave will be totally filled and you'll have a very smooth surface. Then I will get all the plastic forms attached and get it setup for the big test flight. If all goes well, it'll be late next week sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pics from my memory card 305.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	202608  
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.